Living Green, One Tip at a Time – (a weekly feature)

# 4 Reduce-Reuse-Recycle
Part 1 – Reduce (…con’t from  March 12  )
As much as possible, create a tree-free home:
       replace paper napkins with cloth napkins
       replace paper towels with a special set of cloth towels or cut up old t-shirts for great towels and just wash and reuse
       purchase bleach-free, toilet paper that is made from the highest post-consumer waste content you can find (80% minimum)
       if you print documents, print on once-used paper and/or bleach-free, recycled paper with the highest post-consumer waste content available (or hemp/alternative-source paper, if you can afford it)
       reuse envelopes, wrapping paper, the front of gift cards (as postcards) and other paper materials you receive wherever possible
       read books, magazines, and newspapers from your local library
       create and use note pads from once-used paper
       leave messages for family members/roommates on a reusable message board
       make your own cards/letters from once-used products or handmade paper
       if you will be doing construction on your house, search out alternatives to using newly cut wood
Bulk Purchases: Avoid products that are packaged for single use (i.e., drinks, school lunches, candy, cat and dog food, salad mixings, etc.). Instead, buy in bulk and transfer the products to your own reusable containers. Many health food stores have bulk bins where they sell everything from grains to cereal to cleaning products. For additional ideas, read this Precycling information page.
Buy Only What You Need: Buy only as much as you know you’ll use for items such as food, cleaning supplies, and paint.
Avoid Creating Trash: Avoid creating trash wherever possible: when ordering food, avoid receiving any unnecessary plastic utensils, straws, etc. (ask in advance), buy ice cream in a cone instead of a cup, don’t accept “free” promotional products, buy products with the least amount of packaging, etc. Every little bit of trash avoided does make a difference!
Shopping Bags: While shopping, if you only buy a few products skip the shopping bag. For larger purchases, bring your own. Learn about the dangers of plastic bags and what countries around world are doing about it
Junk Mail: For ideas on how to reduce junk mail, check out:
       Opt-Out
Mug-to-Go: Carry a mug with you wherever you go for take out beverages
Waste-Free Lunches: Pack a Waste-Free Lunch whenever possible.
Encourage Hotels to Reduce Waste: When staying at a hotel, motel, or bed and breakfast let the management know that you like to support businesses that adopt environmentally responsible practices (including reducing waste) and/or visit Green Hotels Association
The information contained in this post was obtained, with permission, from the following site –
Monica

Comments

1. Jennifer says:

Hi, I'm following from Welcome to the Weekend blog hop, if you have a chance stop by and say "hi" at

2. Christina Lucas says:

Thanks for stopping by The Blog Entourage! Following you back. Sorry, the linky wasn't up earlier, but it is now. Please feel free to add your blog to the list!

3. great tips. and thanks for stopping and following my blog. i'm following you back!

4. You have a lot of really good tips. I already do many of them but could definitely be better about paper use. I'll try to put some of your suggestions to work here :)

5. Our Village is a Little Different says:

Great tips! thanks for topping by, I'm following back. I hope you have a great Sunday.

6. great information

I'm following you from fab friends thursday blog please come by my blog sometime when you get a moment would love to have you follow me back

7. Awesome green list. Some I do, some I need to impliment.

New follower from The Thrifty Military.

8. The Loops says:

Great tips! I'm following back!

9. LESAPEA MUSINGS says:

Happy Sunday Monica, Here to follow back from Say Hi Sunday.

Lisa @ Lesapea xx

10. Thanks for the green tips! I am trying to become more green, so this is helpful!

11. Thanks for the tips. In my house we try to reuse, recycle, and reduce.
    New follower from hop.
    Please stop by http://momsinvent.blogspot.com/ and have a few laughs with me.

12. I'm your newest follower from the Sunday Blog Hops! Come check out my blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

Have a happy Sunday!

13. Hey just followed you from the blog hop. Would love a follow back. Have a great week! =D http://hisperfectpromises.blogspot.com/

14. These are all practical rules that we always forgets…I am guilty ! Thanks for the reminder.

15. Susan W. says:

Great tips on being green…I am impressed with myself as to how many I do on your list…keeps me in check! That being said, I'm a new follower from Monday hop…would love you to stop by to return the follow at http://www.fingerclicksaver.com. While you're there…sign up for the current giveaway! HAGW! Sue

16. Betty Manousos@ CUT AND DRY says:

Great tips! Thanks for sharing. I need to bookmark this page. I'm all green!!

Found your lovely blog from the weekend bloghop.

Have a great week ahead!

17. Jennifer says:

Hi. I wanted to stop by & say thank you for linking up to Meet & Follow Sunday! Have a good week.

Jennifer @ http://www.thethriftymilitarywife.com

18. Thanks for stopping by Mon petit shoo I am checking you out and following you back.

19. Nicole B says:

Hi,
    I'm your newest follower stopping by on the Good Friends Just Click hop.
    I'd love a visit back at my blog, Mom Always Finds Out when you get the chance.
    Thanks!
    Nicole

20. Betty Manousos@ CUT AND DRY says:

Hi Monica-thank you for the follow.
    I love your blog.

Have a great Tuesday!

21. I'm here following you back! Cute blog!! Thanks for the follow!!

22. I am also a big advocate of recycling, reducing & reusing. If only everyone took environmental concerns as seriously as you do. I am convinced the Earth is unhappy at present and it's up to each of us to turn things around. Earth Day this coming weekend is the perfect time for everyone to show they care!
    Thanks for visiting my blog! It's wonderful to have a new blog friend.

23. bellini valli says:

I'm definitely in the over 50 age category and I alos love to follow my fellow Canadians too:D Thanks for the linky love.

24. great tips… was very kind of you to share your little tips with us.. thank you :)

25. These are some great tips for how to have a more "green" home! I will have to start implementing more of these at my home. We do our best to reuse, reuse and reuse but we can still start buying more recycled products.

We recently had our garbage can stolen (random I know) but since then we've been producing as little garbage as possible and it's really been nice not having to worry about taking the trash out, and there isn't a nasty stink near the garbage can :)

I Love Comments