Living Green, One Tip at a Time – (a weekly feature)

#5  EARTH HOUR 2011 – It’s time to go beyond the hour

“Earth Hour started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia when 2.2 million individuals and more than 2,000 businesses turned their lights off for one hour to take a stand against climate change. Only a year later and Earth Hour had become a global sustainability movement with more than 50 million people across 35 countries/territories participating. Global landmarks such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge, CN Tower in Toronto, Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and Rome’s Colosseum, all stood in darkness, as symbols of hope for a cause that grows more urgent by the hour…

…On Saturday 27 March, Earth Hour 2010 became the biggest Earth Hour ever. A record 128 countries and territories joined the global display of climate action. Iconic buildings and landmarks from Asia Pacific to Europe and Africa to the Americas switched off. People across the world from all walks of life turned off their lights and came together in celebration and contemplation of the one thing we all have in common – our planet.

Earth Hour 2011 will take place on Saturday 26 March at 8.30PM (local time). This Earth Hour we want you to go beyond the hour, so after the lights go back on think about what else you can do to make a difference. Together our actions add up.”  1.

Please show your support because together we will make a difference!!

If you are on twitter, show your support by tweeting –  @ I’m switching off the lights for Earth Hour 2011.

Show your support too at –

and at WWF (Canada) –

1. Above quote obtained from http://www.earthhour.org/

Monica

Comments

1. Oak Lawn Lady says:

Oh that's funny…I was just sitting here thinking of posting a blog about Earth Hour. I'm so glad you already did.
    We will be supporting Earth Hour and hopefully beyond tonight. Time to catch up on some reading by candlelight!!! he,he

2. bellini valli says:

Me too:D

3. Very informative. Thanks!

Hi!

I'm your newest follower from the Weekend blog hop.

Feel free to check out my blog here: inadaze13.blogspot.com

4. Earth Hour is tonight??? I would have forgotten! Thanks for the reminder.

5. Jenn at Sweet T Makes Three says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm already a follower of yours.

6. Thanks for the reminder about Earth Day! Also, thank you for the follow….I'm following you back! :)
    I'm especially happy to find you because, like you, I don't have small children anymore. My 3 are teenagers, and the issues that come up in these years (not to mention the '40's!) are different.
    Looking forward to following you!
    Be blessed~
    Kristi

7. 1 Funky Woman says:

This is such a great idea! I had no idea that some of the major landmarks participated also!

My kiddos won't like it but they need to learn how important it is! So gonna try it!

Thanks for stopping over and following. Now I'm excited to follow you!

Megan

8. LifeBelowZero says:

I'm in.

9. Re-Purpose History says:

10. Blogger Broadcast says:

Thanks for the info. I learned something new today. Oh wow, I am already a follower! Have a good weekend.

11. Thisisme. says:

Some interesting information in that post. Thank you! Well, here I am , following you back from over here in England. As a "woman of a certain age" (!), I am really looking forward to your Wednesday posts – relevant to older women! Looking forward to getting to know you.

12. Thisisme. says:

Forgot to say – I LOVE the title of your Blog!!

13. Jacqueline says:

I am so happy you participated this year too! And thanks for stopping by The Organic Blonde. I am already actually a follower. I stop by because you give such great tips!!!

14. Love your blog!
    Hiya! Newest follower from Say Hi Sunday Hop– please stop by and say hello! Would love if ya followed back!
    ♥cyn♥

15. Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah says:

Darn, I missed earth hour. I will do it tonight at that time to show my support.
    Thanks for stopping by!

16. New follower from the Canadian blog hop :)

17. I did it, too, this year. I'd wanted to do it for a long time and kept on forgetting, but this year I made it a priority and told the world about it… The more people know about your intentions, the more accountable you feel. Following you back, thanks for visiting me at muminsearch.com.

18. Callista says:

I'm now following from the Canadian blog hop. I'd love it if you'd come visit me.

19. funfunfun says:

Hi! Thanks for following…I'm returning the favor:)

20. HI Monica I am your newest follower thanks for stopping by my blog page and entering the bunny giveaway. Thank you for the great information you gave that was wonderful and I am passing this along to my grandson. He loves facts-anything he can think on makes him so happy.
    Sincerely Rachel

21. ArtsyChaos says:

Oh sheeez… I can't believe I forgot this! I'll chalk it up to old age. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hello from the blog hop!
    ~Wendy

22. Homestead Mom says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog and following me. I like your blog, I am now following you back.

Many blessings,
    Jacqui

23. I really wish I'd remembered Earth Hour. I completely forgot about it. :(

24. Krafty Max Originals says:

I can't find the post for the blog hop, so I am leaving my little note here!! THANKS!!

BLOG HOPping around – I am now a follower of your blog, wont you also follow me?? ~KM
    Krafty Max Originals

25. Thanks for sharing this, I'm a little late! I've never heard of this before. Very interesting, I will be sharing this with my husband and daughter.

26. KerrieLynn says:

Thank you for finding and following me this weekend….I had one of those "I can't seem to get anything done" type of weekends, so I am just now catching up on all the comments left on my blog!

~KerrieLynn ღೋ☙❤
    KLs Cupboard Blog
    KLs Cupboard on Facebook
    KLs Cupboard on Twitter

27. Geris Super Saving Tips says:

Thanks for following, following you back. :)

I Love Comments