A – Z Blogging Challenge – E

I know, I know,  you think this is something your mother made for an appetizer.  Well, she did, but todays devilled eggs are redone, totally “retro” and the “in” appetizer!!  Plus, they’re super easy and really inexpensive!!
(The recipe sounds a bit complicated, but, really, it’s not)

“E”

Eggs – Devilled

12 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
4 Tbsp. good quality mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp finely chopped dill, plus more for garnish  (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped smoked salmon (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Place eggs in a large pot and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil.  As soon as they begin to boil, cover and turn off heat.  Let stand for 12 minutes.  Drain eggs then cover with cold water.  Set aside to cool.  When cool, remove shell and slice eggs in half, lengthwise.  Carefully remove yolks to a medium bowl and set whites aside.

Using a fork, finely mash eggs.  Add next 4 ingredients and combine until creamy, fold in chopped salmon.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Using a small spoon (or pastry bag if you wish), fill the egg whites with the egg yolk mixture.  Garnish with chopped dill.  Keep refridgerated, loosely covered until ready to serve.

(Optional – if you’re not a lover of salmon you could replace the salmon & dill with 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and 2 Tbsp., plus garnish, of finely chopped flat leaf  (Italian) parsley.)

Monica

Comments

1. Tori Cooper says:

You keep posting my favorites..yum!

2. We have an annual neighborhood cocktail party each June, and my husband insists I bring his favorite – deviled eggs. Maybe I'll surprise him with yours this year ;-)

3. I may just give these a try. They sound yummy, especially with the salmon.

4. MMmmmm, deviled eggs! Not a holiday around here without them!

5. Christine says:

What a great idea doing recipes. Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way. Hope you'll come back.

6. I love deviled eggs, so I'll be very interested to try this variation!

7. Holly Ruggiero says:

I love deviled eggs – who doesn't?

8. Marjorie says:

Sour cream instead of mustard? Interesting. I might have to try that.

9. Melissa Dean says:

I love deviled eggs. Thanks for such a great recipe. I'm now following you, too!

10. the writing pad says:

Heard of them,of course, but never knew till now how to make them. Sounds straighforward enough, even for me – will give it a try :-)
    Many thanks
    All best
    karla

11. Julia Smith says:

I LOVE devilled eggs!

12. Name: Luana Krause says:

I'm the one at the party that scarfs down the deviled eggs. My favorite party food!

13. Yummy. I have egg allergies unless the eggs are cooked completely. Any suggestion on how long I would need to boil eggs to be SURE they are fully cooked?

Lisa
    InspiredbyLisa

14. Claire Goverts says:

Those sound wonderful, I'll have to try them sometime. I love deviled eggs.

15. Nicole Mc says:

yum!! I love deviled eggs…even though my husband gets so annoyed with the smell of them boiling! ha!

16. Better is Possible says:

I haven't had deviled eggs in ages. My mom used to make them all the time. About time I learned. Thanks for the recipe.

17. Margaret Hall says:
  18. This is fancier than the deviled eggs I usually make. I'll have to try your recipe. I like that it doesn't have so much mayonnaise.

19. That sounds great, and just in time for Easter. I tried to make fancier devilled eggs one time, and the recipe called for chopped almonds. What a big mistake! Everyone eating them thought I had accidentally left bits of shell in the eggs. Never again.

20. Deirdra Eden-Coppel says:

I love your site and as I browsed your blog I decided to award you the Beautiful Mommy Writer Award.
    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra