My sister recently brought me some rhubarb freshly picked from her garden. It looked and smelled so much like spring! I cut off the leaves, washed it, wrapped it in some damp paper towel and put it in the fridge.
As many of you know by now I LOVE making muffins! Yesterday, I decided to make some muffins with the rhubarb…I adapted a blueberry muffin recipe I had and they turned out really well. Light and sweet with just a little tang from the rhubarb.
Do you love muffins? What are your favourite types?
- 2½ cups fresh rhubarb washed and chopped into pea sized pieces
- ⅓ brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 12 large muffin tins with non-stick spray or use paper liners.
- In a small bowl combine rhubarb, the brown sugar and flour, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk to combine, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients, combine; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and the 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and then add vanilla, sour cream, and buttermilk.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter, and beat until just mixed (Don’t over mix or muffins will be tough)
- Add rhubarb mixture and using a spatula, gently fold in.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup just over the top, and bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with the sugars and cinnamon topping, and bake 10-15 more minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a toothpick stuck into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Hope you enjoy this little taste of spring!