When my husband makes dinner Macaroni Surprise is often his go-to meal. He has worked with a couple of family recipes and created his “masterpiece”. It’s so nice to walk in the door at dinner time and feel the love and smell the delicious aroma of this casserole baking! Over the years, the kids and I have lovingly dubbed it “Macaroni Surprise”.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of condensed tomato soup
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Noodles (1 1/2 cups of elbow macaroni OR 200 gms egg noodles) Cook to al dente, as directed on package. Drain.
- Grated mozzarella cheese
In a large frying pan cook ground beef, when nearly done, add onions and green pepper, continue to fry until vegetables and meat are thoroughly cooked. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato soup, brown sugar and salt & pepper. Stir to combine. Add noodles, combine gently. Pour into large greased casserole dish and top with grated cheese. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees F. for 25 minutes.