This past week we celebrated Shrove Tuesday which is also known as Pancake Day, Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras (which is French for Fat Tuesday).
Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the custom for many Catholics of marking the day with feasting on pancakes (in ancient times it was a good way to use up eggs, milk and sugar) before the fasting season of Lent begins.
For Tuesday’s dinner we had a feast of delicious, fluffy pancakes and home-made baked beans, it was so good!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- In large bowl combine egg, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, stir gently.
- Pour in melted butter and stir gently until smooth.
- Ladle mixture into medium/high buttered frying pan.
- Cook until bubbles appear on surface and underside is golden.
- Flip and continue cooking until golden.
- Enjoy with butter and pure maple syrup!