The first time I had these deliciously decadent, Chocolate Mousse Squares was several years ago. A fellow nurse and I were working the week-end shift in the Operating Room and she brought in a pan of these squares as a little dinnertime treat!
It was love at first bite! These squares are a silky, smooth, creamy delight; once you have one, you will definitely be hooked.
They make the perfect dessert for both a casual family barbecue or an elegant dinner party! They are super easy to make and the best part, you can make them days ahead and just store them in your freezer. (To avoid encountering the “empty pan phenomenon”, I suggest storing these squares under tight security!!)
PS… I need to confess to actually eating a square, still frozen, directly from the pan.
- 1¼ cup dark chocolate cookie crumbs
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted (melt according to package directions)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tubs plain, spreadable style cream cheese
- 2 cups cool Whip. thawed
- Line a 9 inch square pan with two alternating 9 inch strips of parchment paper. (Leave an overlap on all sides to facilitate easy removal of squares from the pan)
- Mix cookie crumbs and melted butter together; press into bottom of the pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in milk, then melted chocolate and finally, Cool Whip until well combined.
- Pour over prepared crust.
- If desired, top with a sprinkling of additional cookie crumbs.
- Freeze for a minimum of 4-6 hours.
- Remove dessert from freezer 15 minutes prior to serving.
- To serve, using parchment, lift squares from pan to a cutting board and slice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and as always, if you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.