Not quite sure why, there was no weather event happening, which often seems to spur some of my cooking/baking sprees…lol. But for some reason I woke up on Saturday morning with the urge to cook and cook and bake! So, after my obligatory 3 or 4 cups of coffee while reading the newspaper I headed for the kitchen.
I had put yellow eyed beans on to soak the night before, so perhaps it was a foreshadowing of the baking spree to come. I put them on to boil/simmer and started on the bread, Grammie’s Oatmeal Molasses Brown Bread. In our home, brown bread is a necessity when you are having baked beans!
Due to a sale, I had a few pounds of ground beef in the fridge that needed to be dealt with, so I froze some and made a big pot of pasta sauce and a lasagna with the rest.
Not content to leave it at that, I decided we (aka… I) needed something sweet for dessert, that we could also have the next day with our morning coffee. I have pounds of blueberries in the freezer so, Blueberry Struesel Coffee Cake, sounded like a logical choice. This is a handwritten recipe that I have in my extremely unorganized recipe file (a baggie). I am not sure where it originated but I do know it is delicious!
And for those of you who believe I am super organized type A…here is a photo of my recipe file…lol
Ready for the oven.
Fresh from the oven! Grammie’s Oatmeal Molasses Brown Bread is in the background.
This coffee cake is so good; the cake is moist and then you get the taste of blueberries and the crunchy streusel…delicious!
Blueberry Struesel Coffee Cake
- Streusel Topping -
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter
- Cake -
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 11/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen tossed with 1 Tbsp. flour) (If using frozen DO NOT THAW, toss with flour and store in freezer until ready to use)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9" (23 cm) springform pan with cooking spray.
- Streusel Topping -
- Mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in ½ cup butter until mixture is well combined and crumbly. Set aside.
- Cake -
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar until fluffy and creamy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Add vanilla to milk.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture at a time and alternate with the milk mixture,beating well after each addition.
- Spread half the batter in the prepared pan. Cover with ½ streusel mixture followed by all the blueberries. Add remaining batter,spread carefully. Cover batter with remaining streusel topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, until deep golden brown and set.
- Remove pan to wire rack. Cool completely before removing outer ring.
- Store in airtight container or cover well with plastic wrap.
As always, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask, I will do my very best to answer.
What is your favourite coffee cake?