The President’s Choice® team has partnered with some of Canada’s top foodie influencers and chefs to create regionally inspired burgers that are sure to be a hit during backyard barbecues across the country! But just because the burgers are designed by chefs doesn’t mean you can’t create them at home. In fact, this past weekend, I created my version of Chef Craig Flinn’s (owner of Chives Canadian Bistro and Two Doors Down in Halifax) Fog Buster Scallop Bacon Burger! It was, in one word – DELICIOUS!
“The seafood in Atlantic Canada is among the best in the world. So when I was challenged to develop Atlantic Canada’s Burger for the President’s Choice ® brand I knew it had to incorporate seafood to properly represent the East Coast. Scallops are one of our signature foods that are found every summer in seaside restaurants and pub decks here in Nova Scotia.” – Chef Craig Flinn
Chef Craig certainly delivered, creating the Fog Buster Scallop Bacon Burger that brings together the classic flavour of scallops and bacon (think bacon wrapped scallops…YUM) into a delightful summer burger.
While the President’s Choice® team challenged Chef Craig to make a burger suited for Atlantic Canadians’ tastes, the range of burgers and toppings at Atlantic Superstore® and Dominion® locations allows anyone to customize a burger uniquely based on their province, neighbourhood, or family preferences.
This is a photo of my version of the Fog Buster Scallop Bacon Burger that I made on the weekend…it was so yummy, will absolutely be making these time and time again!
- For the “tartar” sauce:
- 1 250g tub PC® Spreadable Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup PC® Smokey Bacon Mayo
- 1 tsp PC® Ancho Chipotle Smokey Pepper Sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp PC® Sweet Green Relish
- 2 tsp PC® Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill (optional)
- For the scallops:
- 1¼ lbs (approximately 16 to 20 each) PC® Blue Menu® Sustainably Sourced Wild Nova Scotian Frozen Jumbo Sea Scallops
- 3 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup PC® black label Panko Japanese-style Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp PC® Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Tuscany
- For the final assembly:
- 8 slices PC® Naturally Smoked Bacon rounds
- 1 cup PC® Organics baby arugula
- 4 each PC® Hawaiian Sweet Buns
- In a bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, bacon mayo, pepper sauce, lemon juice, relish, Dijon mustard and dill and mix well using a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to build the burgers.
- Thaw the scallops overnight in the refrigerator if possible and pat dry with clean paper towels.
- Place the flour, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. dredge each scallop in seasoned flour until dusted on all sides.
- Place the beaten eggs in a second bowl and dip each scallop in the egg.
- Finally, toss each egg-dipped scallop in a third bowl containing the panko breadcrumbs.
- When completely coated with breadcrumbs, Place on a plate until ready to fry.
- Using the side burner of your barbecue, heat a non-stick frying pan and add the olive oil, then fry the scallops for 3 or 4 minutes per side over high heat until golden brown and crispy. Once completely cooked, remove the scallops from the oil and rest on plate lined with paper towels. season with a little salt and pepper if desired.
- Heat your barbecue and grill the slices of bacon until golden and crispy (about 3 minutes per side).
- While doing this, place the buns on the grill as well until the edges are slightly charred and the bread toasted.
- To assemble the burgers, place the bottom part of the bun down and spread 1 tbsp of the cream cheese tarter sauce on the bun. Next, add several arugula lettuce leaves.
- Place 4 or 5 crispy sea scallops down next, then lay 2 pieces of crispy, warm bacon rounds on the scallops. On the top bun, spread another tablespoon of cream cheese tartar sauce, and place the bun on top.
Entertaining this summer can be easy, from refreshing eats to cool treats President’s Choice® products have you covered. Learn more about all things summer at pc.ca and join the conversation using the hashtag #pcsummer.