Not sure how this yummy treat received its name, but I do know, the name is worthy of the dessert! I have made Sex in a Pan off and on now for the past twenty or more years. This is a bit of a throwback/retro type of dessert that you don’t see everyday.
If you decide to make this for your next dinner party, potluck or family get together, I can pretty well guarantee that all plates will come back licked clean. OK, maybe not licked, but they will be clean!
My daughter LOVES this dessert, I recently told her that instead of a traditional cake, she should be asking me to make Sex in a Pan for her upcoming birthday!
The recipe is basically an assembly of a bunch of layers. In fact, over the years I have heard that the recipe is actually called “Six” in a pan, referring to the six layers, which I guess makes sense. Six in a Pan or Sex in a Pan, no matter what you call it, this dessert is yummy!
Mix flour, sugar and nuts together. Add melted butter and stir to combine. (I actually cheated a little here. I melted the butter and then added the flour, sugar and nuts. Turned out fine, and one less bowl to clean!)
Press the flour, sugar, nuts and butter mixture into the bottom of a parchment lined 9″x 13″ pan.
Bake the crust until the edges are just beginning to get golden.
Mix up all the other components of the squares: cream cheese layer, vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding and whipped cream. Now all you need to do is assemble the layers.
I used an off-set spatula to spread the layers, but a regular spatula and the back of a spoon also gets the job done.
I like to add a little shaved chocolate to the top of the squares.
To easily shave the chocolate I heated a one ounce block in the microwave for just 3 or 4 seconds. I then used a vegetable peeler to get the little curls.
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- ¾ cup finely chopped nuts, I usually use pecans, walnuts would also work. (The nuts may be omitted)
- 375 g softened, brick style cream cheese (That is 1½ of the 8 ounce pkgs)
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1½ cups whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- 1 INSTANT chocolate pudding mix, 4 serving size and 1½ cups milk
- 1 INSTANT vanilla pudding mix, 4 serving size and 1½ cups milk
- Shaved chocolate, optional
- Mix flour, sugar and nuts together. Add melted butter and stir to combine. Press mixture into the bottom of a parchment lined 9"x13".
- Bake in 325 degree F. oven for 15 minutes or until golden on the edges. Cool.
- Using a mixer, whip together softened cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust.
- Spread ½ of the whipped cream over cream cheese layer.
- Mix chocolate pudding and the 1½ cups of milk, spread over whipped cream layer.
- Mix vanilla pudding and the 1½ cups of milk, spread over chocolate pudding layer.
- Top with remaining whipped cream.
- If desired, garnish with shaved chocolate
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, remove from fridge.
- Using parchment as handles, lift squares from pan. Using a long sharp knife, cut into 12 equal pieces. (Squares can be cut while in pan, just makes them a bit more difficult to remove neatly)
I hope you enjoy this delicious dessert and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.