The first time I had these Chocolate Chip Squares, was at the home of a good friend of mine. As soon as I tasted one, I knew I had to have the recipe!
That was many years ago, and being the sweet person that she is, she willingly gave me her recipe. I have made them ever since.
Not only do I love them, anyone who has tried these squares loves them too, especially my kids. They ask me to make these squares all the time, a couple of times they even wanted them in lieu of a birthday cake, they’re that good! (FYI, I made them the cake and the squares!)
I apologize in advance for the quality of these photos. I made these squares one evening, the lighting is horrible! But, hopefully, you will get the general idea.
I use a big off-set spatula to smooth the dough into the pan. If you don’t have one, don’t worry, the back of a large spoon or your hands works just as well!
My favourite part, sprinkling the chocolate chips over the base. There may or may not be a few chocolate chips missing!
Pour the egg white and brown sugar mixture on top of the chocolate chips. Then, using your off-set spatula or spoon, spread the mixture over as much of the pan as possible. Don’t worry if you don’t get every square millimeter, the mixture will puff up and spread out a bit as it cooks.
The finished goldeny, delicious squares!
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 11/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Butter a 9"x13" baking dish and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and first two sugars until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with water and vanilla. Add to sugar mixture and beat well.
- Sift together, flour, salt and baking soda. Add to butter, sugar mixture. Mix to combine.
- Spread base into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the base.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the brown sugar and continue beating until well combined.
- Spread over the chocolate chips.
- Bake in a 325 degree F. oven for 30 - 40 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these squares as much as we do! As always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.