When my kids were little, I baked a lot of muffins. Usually blueberry, bran, pumpkin, banana, rhubarb…I tried to keep them relatively healthy. However, the type they always begged me to make was Chocolate Chip Muffins, they were far and away their favourite!
My daughter now lives on her own. She is only about 15 minutes from home, but if I know she is dropping in, I always try to make a special treat. Sometimes it’s cookies, a sweet bread and often times it’s muffins.
She usually NEVER eats any of these treats when she is here (she can’t be my child…lol), but I always send a container of goodies home with her.
The exception is when I make Chocolate Chip Muffins. She was here this morning and when I knew she was coming over, I had whipped up a batch of these muffins. She saw them cooling on the counter and actually asked if she could eat one now. I almost fell of my chair!
I guess the point of all my ramblings is to tell you, these muffins are that good!
Give them a try when you are looking for a moist muffin that is a little different from the ordinary. They are easy to make and you won’t be disappointed.
Whisk until the eggs and sugar are pale yellow in colour. I used a stand mixer but you could easily use a hand mixer or even just a whisk and some arm muscles!
While whisking, slowly pour in the oil and vanilla. (I just added the vanilla to the oil…one less step)
Scrape the bowl frequently during mixing and only mix enough to just combine the ingredients. Once you have added the flour you don’t want to overmix or the muffins will be tough. You can easily finish the mixing by hand and also, I recommend folding in the chocolate chips by hand.
All ready for the oven!
A close-up of the sparkling sugar. Really, it is just sugar that is in large granules. You can find it at most major craft and bulk food stores. Alternately, just use regular sugar or omit altogether.
The finished muffins! Perfect with a cup of hot coffee and the kids will love them too!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- Optional - Sparkling sugar (large sugar crystals to sprinkle on muffins prior to baking)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and spray 12 large muffin cups or line with cupcake papers.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour, salt and baking soda.
- In large bowl whisk eggs and gradually add sugar, continue whisking until pale yellow in colour.
- Continue whisking while slowly pouring in oil and vanilla.
- Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture, alternating with the sour cream.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- If using, sprinkle each muffin with sparkling sugar
- Bake in preheated oven for ~ 20 minutes.
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask. I will do my very best to answer.
Do you and your family like muffins?
What are your favourite types to make or to eat?