My daughter and I have spent many a fun Saturday morning browsing the many garage sales in our neighbourhoods.
I’m not exactly sure why I love them, but I do! I think it must be the thrill of the hunt. Finding that perfect painting, the piece of dishware you are missing, tools, books, furniture and the list goes on!
A couple of years ago, my hubby and I were looking for a new table for our dining room. We saw that a home not far from us had lots of furniture for sale, so decided to check it out. We arrived early and immediately fell in love with a big mahogany dining table that came with a leaf and six chairs. It was in need of a lot of love but we could see the potential so snapped it up!
We had the chairs professionally recovered and my hubby stripped and re-stained the table. That was definitely a labour of love. He is a perfectionist and spent many hours sanding every inch of that table with #0000 steel wool until it was smooth as glass.
If you love picking up awesome items for your home at great prices, you are definitely going to want to check out the Leon’s store closest to you. Leon’s is hosting Canada’s largest Garage Sale from July 31, 2015 to Monday August 3, 2015
Garage Sale Tips:
- Set that alarm clock! You don’t want to be late.
- The early bird gets the worm. If you want first pick at all the good stuff, you gotta’ get there bright and early.
- Eat a healthy breakfast before you go.
- Coffee. Always coffee.
- Remember to stay hydrated while garage sale shopping. Bring a bottle or two of water with you.
- Garage sale shopping might make you hungry. Be sure to bring snacks.
- Wear comfortable shoes! A garage sale involves lots of walking and searching. You want to be comfortable while you hunt.
- Stay comfortable on garage sale day! Layer your clothing so you don’t get too hot or too cold.
- Stay protected from the sun on garage sale day. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen and a hat!
- Be prepared and check the weather forecast before garage sale day, and bring an umbrella, just in case.
- Bring a measuring tape when you go garage sale shopping.
- Think ahead on garage sale day and pack rope or bungee cords to secure larger items to the car.
- Garage Sale shopping is a fun family activity. Give everyone a budget so they can buy things as well.
- Don’t go garage sale shopping alone! It’s great to have a second opinion, be sure to bring friends and family with you!
- Bring cash! A garage sale is a great opportunity to free up some loose change in your wallet!
- Bring small bills and change when garage sale shopping- you never know what you might find!
- Don’t forget to bargain! It is a garage sale after all! Make an offer.
- Ask for second opinions while garage sale shopping! Take snap a shot and send it to a friend for advice.
- If you love something- buy it! Garage sale items are usually one-offs and it may be your only shot!
- Look at the “BONES” of the furniture while garage sale shopping. DIYers you know what we mean ;)
- Don’t get hung up on upholstery or wood tones- those can all be changed when you get that precious garage sale find home.
- Use your imagination on garage sale day. Love that lamp base but not the shade? Easy! Paint the shade!
- Be creative and always reimagine what a garage sale find could be turned into.
- Take your time while garage sale shopping. Go at your own pace, you never know what you might find.
- Be thorough and don’t get discouraged! It takes time to find the treasures that speak to you at a garage sale.
Taking place this Friday July 31st through August 3rd 2015 is CANADA’S LARGEST GARAGE SALE. There will be something for everyone. FREE balloons and FREE lemonade. There will even be pet adoption centres to add a new addition to your family. With chairs starting at ONLY $19, you won’t want to miss out. Save as much as 75% on discontinued end of line furniture and accessories. Extra staff will be on hand, as garage sales of course are cash and carry. This is great because there are sofas and appliances which are DRASTICALLY reduced !
Want to get some well deserved rest – pick up a mattress at the #LeonsGarageSale. They start at ONLY $89 !
Be sure to use the hashtag #LeonsGarageSale and share your excitement about the best long weekend you are about to have.
*First come , first serve. Selection varies by store. While quantities last.
We are starting the garage sale fun early! Be sure to enter below for your chance to win a $150.00 Leon’s Gift Card!