I love having some of these made up in advance and tucked away in the refrigerator. They are so easy and let’s face it…they’re pretty darn cute too!
Spinach and Bacon Mason Jar Salad ~ Summer is almost here and that means everyone is spending lots of time outdoors, having fun. No one wants to make complicated, labour intensive meals. We all want something delicious, but it also must be no muss and no fuss to prepare.
Check out the yummy layers of dressing, red onion, bacon, mushrooms, eggs and spinach. (I made a simple dressing, but if you’re in hurry you could certainly substitute your favourite bottled dressing and it would still be amazing!)
The Spinach and Bacon Mason Jar Salad is a snap to assemble, easily made in advance, portable, and packed with a variety of yummy flavours and textures.
Perfect for picnics, barbecues or popped into a lunch bag. This is an effortless, tasty and stress-free way to feed your friends and family this summer.
- 3-4 cups baby spinach leaves washed and thoroughly dried.
- ½ red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 small shallot, grated
- 1½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Gather 5 (500 ml, 1 pint) Mason jars and lids
- Add dressing ingredients to one jar, shake vigorously to combine.
- Place a few tablespoons of dressing at the bottom of each of the four remaining jars.
- Divide ingredients among the jars, layering in the following order: red onion, bacon, mushrooms, egg and then top with spinach. (or however you like as long as the spinach is on the top and not in contact with the dressing.
- Twist on the top to seal your salads and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Any leftover dressing can be refrigerated for up to one week. Or you can halve the recipe and that will give you almost the exact amount of dressing, however, I like to make the full amount and have some left over.
- To serve, dump salad and dressing onto a plate or bowl, scrape any dressing remaining in the jar on top of salad. Enjoy!
I love these so much that I am going to experiment with several other types of salads and I will report back with my findings.
As always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer.