I cannot remember when we first started making this outstanding Spaghetti Cheese Casserole. It feels like it has been part of our dinner repertoire since forever!
It is one of those “old style” recipes that you sometimes find in community type cookbooks or tucked away in a big stack of yellowing recipe cards.
I often made this casserole when our kids were little and into their teens, but lately, it seems to be Music Man’s “go to” supper when he cooks.
Hearty, filling, and delicious; I am pretty sure this casserole will very quickly become a family favourite in your home too.
After you cook the ground beef and onions, add the two types of soups and then the grated cheddar cheese.
Add meat mixture to the cooked spaghetti.
I love this easy to make and crunchy topping. I use it with a few of my casserole recipes.
Hot and bubbly, straight from the oven!
- 250g (8ozs) Spaghetti, cooked to al dente (According to package directions.)
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 500 g (1 lb) lean ground beef
- 1 - large onion, chopped
- 1 - 284ml (10oz) can condensed cream soup. (I use cream of celery but cream of mushroom would also work well)
- 1 - 284ml (10oz) can condensed tomato soup
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated old cheddar cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) finely crushed soda crackers
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) butter, melted
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) grated old cheddar cheese
- Cook spaghetti to al dente, according to package instructions.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan, add ground beef and onion. Scramble fry until no pink remains in beef and onion is translucent.
- Add cream soup, tomato soup, and water. Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer over low heat uncovered for 10 minutes
- Add the 2 cups of grated cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour the meat mixture over the cooked and drained spaghetti. Stir to combine spaghetti and sauce.
- Transfer to a buttered 3.5 L (3 qt.) casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a microwaveable bowl.
- Add crushed crackers and stir with a fork to combine.
- Stir in the ¼ cup grated cheese.
- Sprinkle this topping over the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered in a 350° F. oven for 30 minutes.
Hope you enjoy this recipe for Spaghetti Cheese Casserole and as always, if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer.