I love almost everything about summer. From trips to the beach and picnics to camping and warm summer evening, this is my favourite season of the year.
Another thing I love about the summer is meals are most often light and easy to make. Let’s face it, when the temperature is hovering around 30°C no one wants to be stuck in a sweltering kitchen, tending to a big turkey dinner with all the trimmings…it is just WAY too hot for any of that foolishness!
But, having said that. I still want our meals balanced and nutritious, as well as really tasty.
This past weekend we once again had more hot, humid weather. When I was thinking about what to make for dinner, I knew it needed to be something light but filling.
Because I had all the ingredients on hand, I decided to make a Mediterranean type salad. At the last-minute, as I looked at that big bowl of delicious veggies, I wasn’t sure the salad would be satisfying enough for the two grown men in my family. I decided to bulk it up a bit and add even more nutrition with the addition of a tasty, organic grain.
I quickly cooked up some organic Seeds of Change® Quinoa & Brown Rice with Garlic and added it to the veggies. It made the most incredible Quinoa & Brown Rice Mediterranean Salad! Plus, it was easy, balanced, nutritious and most importantly, it tasted amazing!
I loved the convenience of being able to get the quinoa and brown rice ready in just a couple of minutes.
Don’t you love all the beautiful colours and textures in a Mediterranean salad?
This dressing was super easy to make and I was able to whip it together in only a few minutes.
This recipe makes enough for eight to ten people but you can very easily cut the quantities in half. Or…do like I did and save any extra in mason jars…perfect for lunchtime!
We all know that:
- The quality of food we put in our bodies is important, but no matter how dedicated we are to finding organic foods, many of us are strapped for time.
I love that Seeds of Change® is a certified organic rice and ancient grain brand that you can heat up in the microwave or on the stovetop in mere minutes.
Did you know:
- Seeds of Change® offers the trust of an organic product, combined with the ease of simple-to-prepare instructions.
- Seeds of Change® is a certified organic rice and ancient grain brand that you can heat up in the microwave or on the stovetop in just minutes.
- Seeds of Change® is the only Certified Organic, ready-to-heat rice and grain brand available in Canada.
If you have yet to try Seeds of Change® products in your meals, I strongly urge you to check them out. They are so simple to use and incorporate into your meals and are a great staple to have in your pantry!
I think you will also be impressed by the social initiatives by Seeds of Change®. They recently launched a Seeds of Change® Grant Program in Canada, which contributes 1% of sales to community gardens across the country.
- Seeds of Change® contributes 1% of sales toward sustainable farming agriculture worldwide.
- In Canada, Seeds of Change® worked with local partner Evergreen to identify 12 community gardens from coast to coast who are in need of grant money to get their garden started and keep them going all season long.
- With one garden in every province, Seeds of Change® is helping Canadians get access to local, organic food from coast to coast.
The mission of Seeds of Change® is to help Canadians get access to local, organic food.
- Whether that be through offering a trustworthy, organic product to time-strapped Canadians who want to eat consciously with ease, or by helping to build and sustain community gardens across the country
- The existence of a brand like Seeds of Change® shows us that great tasting and easy to prepare food can be good for our bodies, and for the world.
I am adding my recipe (below) for my Quinoa & Brown Rice Mediterranean Salad. It is so simple to throw together, you could even make it the night before for dinner the next day. And, while it’s not necessary, if your family are big meat eaters you could easily pair this salad with barbecued beef, pork, chicken or fish and it would be outstanding!
Win a trip to Prince Edward County, Ontario From Seeds Of Change
And, last but certainly not least, this summer, Canadians have a chance win a GRAND PRIZE trip to Prince Edward County, Ontario to enjoy a once in a lifetime meal of original recipes from world renowned Chef Jamie Kennedy made with local, seasonal produce and Seeds of Change.
- There will be five grand prizes that include travel for two to Prince Edward County from anywhere in Canada, two nights’ stay in nearby Toronto, and $1,000.000 CAD spending money.
- The contest begins on July 12, 2016, and ends on August 14, 2016
- To enter, head to your local major grocery retailer and purchase Seeds of Change®, and then enter online with the code on the package at SeedsofChange.ca
- 2 (240g) packages of Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa & Brown Rice with Garlic
- 2 cups washed, unpeeled, diced English cucumber (I just cut the ends off, cut the cucumber in half and each half into fours strips and chop the strips into ¼ inch pieces)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes which have been cut in half lengthwise.
- 1 small red onion, peeled, quartered and cut into thin strips.
- ½ each of a yellow, red and orange pepper. Washed, seeded and diced.
- 1 (540ml) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed.
- ½ cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives.
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- chopped basil or parsley to garnish
- ¾ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice from 2 large lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely pressed
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (You could use dried thyme, just reduce the amount to 1 tsp)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the two packages of the Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa & Brown Rice with Garlic according to package directions and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, to a large bowl, add the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, peppers, chickpeas, olives.
- Add the cooled Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa & Brown Rice with Garlic, stir gently to evenly distribute. With a large spoon, stir gently to combine.
- Drizzle dressing over salad ingredients, add crumbled feta and refrigerate until ready to serve. Transfer to a large serving bowl and garnish with chopped basil or parsley. Refrigerate any leftovers to enjoy the next day!.
- Add salad dressing ingredients to a mason jar. Cover tightly and shake vigorously to combine.
Also, this makes a big quantity, which is perfect for lunches the next day. But you could easily cut the recipe in half.
For more information on Seeds of Change®, the Canada Facebook page is a great resource for Canadians who are interested in growing or cooking with organic ingredients.
You can also follow along on twitter, just look for the hashtag #SeedsOfChangeCA
“This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/SeedsofChangeCA.”