If I think of an iconic side dish, especially for family gatherings, special occasions and holidays the first dish to pop into my mind would be a classic potato salad.
Really, is there anyone on the planet that doesn’t love a creamy, cold and delicious potato salad? I’m thinking these people would be few and far between!
Like many of the classic side dishes, every family seems to have their own little twist on their recipe for potato salad; and we all think our potato salad is the best…lol!
Over the years, I have experimented with many ways of making and variation of ingredients for potato salad. This final version is the culmination of all the experimentation and I think it is pretty close to perfection!
I hope you will take this recipe, enjoy it as it is or switch it up a bit to make it perfect for your family. Potato salad is really quite forgiving, so feel free to experiment with ingredients and amounts until you find what works for you.
I dice the potatoes in bite sized pieces. Not only do they cook quicker, you save a step because you don’t need to cut them any smaller.
While the potatoes are boiling, cut up all your vegetables.
Put your ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth and creamy.
Add dressing to warm (not hot) vegetables and stir to combine.
- 8 - 10 unpeeled medium potatoes, washed, diced and cooked
- 1¾ cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup classic Italian dressing
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp celery seed (not celery salt)
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 3 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped the parsley (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped chives (optional)
- 5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Boil diced potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain.
- In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, Italian dressing, sugar, Dijon mustard, celery seed, salt & pepper. Taste and add adjust salt & pepper if needed.
- Add dressing to warm potatoes and stir gently to combine.
- Add celery, red onion, green onion, parsley and chives. Stir gently to combine.
- Roughly chop eggs and add to potato mixture, stir to combine.
- Garnish with any leftover veggies and a sprinkle of celery seed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours until thoroughly chilled or overnight.
I often make this classic potato salad for picnics and potlucks, everyone seems to love it!
Do you have a favourite potato salad recipe?
What is your favourite salad of all time?