Disclosure: This post is sponsored in partnership with Canadian Turkey. As always, all opinions are our own.
Although I’m sad to see the long, laid-back, lazy days of summer come to an end, I’m actually excited for the start of autumn. I find the cooler weather, vibrant colours, fuzzy sweaters, big family dinners and returning to more of a routine to be comforting.
Speaking of big family dinners. Thanksgiving is almost here and Canadians are gearing up to celebrate one of their favourite holidays of the year. Making memories over a festive meal with family and friends is the greatest way to participate in this Canadian tradition. Whether you’re a novice cook new to feeding a crowd or a seasoned pro in the kitchen, let Canadian Turkey help you create a show-stopping Thanksgiving celebration and give you the tips and tricks you need to make this a delicious and memorable meal!
Apple, sage and shallot stuffed holiday turkey. Get the recipe HERE.
Families today come in all shapes and sizes with different likes, habits and dietary considerations. Whether you are feeding a large crowd or making an intimate dinner for two, there are many different ways to prepare a turkey meal that can fit your needs. And don’t forget that turkey adapts well to any flavour profile, so you can use your family’s favourite spice blends, glazes or rubs.
Never roasted a whole turkey before? Canadian Turkey has made it foolproof for you with their Turkey Basics Whole Turkey How-Tos. These step-by-step videos will break down the basics so you can master all the steps needed to make that perfect roast Thanksgiving turkey. You’ll be surprised at how simple it can be to create a special celebration meal with these helpful tips and easy-to-follow directions.
Are you planning a smaller meal and looking for inspiration? For a family of 4 or 6, roasting a half turkey can be a great way to celebrate! A half turkey cooks up just as delicious and festive as a whole turkey. For single parents, empty nesters, or romantic couples looking for that traditional inspiration, Canadian Turkey has compiled a large library of delicious options. A turkey breast can be butterflied, rolled and roasted, and served with stuffing on the side to make a gorgeous feast on a smaller scale. Your local butcher or grocer is an invaluable resource and can help you find a solution that works for you.
One of the best things about roasting a whole turkey is having delicious leftovers that are perfect for feeding your family later on during the week. It’s like making two meals in one! Turkey leftovers give you so many options for making a new and tasty main meal for your family. And don’t forget that the leftover bones make amazing stock or soup!
Sundried tomato and greens stuffed turkey breast roast. Get the recipe HERE.
10 WAYS TO MASTER THANKSGIVING PREP AND PLANNING
- For an easy way to ensure extra-crispy skin, unwrap your turkey the day before you are planning to cook it and leave it in the fridge overnight. The extra drying time will add the perfect crispiness to your turkey.
- Make sure you use a good quality meat thermometer to ensure you cook your turkey to the perfect doneness without overcooking. Test your thermometer a few days ahead of time to make sure it is working properly.
- Consider cooking your turkey in parts – breasts, thighs and drums – for a quicker, foolproof way to get the meat cooked perfectly.
- Get a head start on your meal! You can prep all of your staples like onions, celery and carrots up to 3 days beforehand. Dice and store in storage bags. Green beans, squash and salad greens can be washed, trimmed, and chopped beforehand. Store these in storage bags for ready-to-cook sides.
- For a large crowd, consider hosting a buffet-style meal. Spread your dishes out in the kitchen or dining room and let people self-serve and mingle while they eat for an easier-to-serve, fun meal with a casual feel.
- To reduce cooking time, cook your stuffing on the side. This way you can get more of your favourite crunchy bits while cutting down on cooking time in the oven.
- Plan ahead and make a ‘smart’ shopping list. Organize it by staples you can buy in advance and perishables you need to buy a few days before, then organize according to sections of the grocery store. This will make grocery shopping a breeze and save you precious time.
- Look for make-ahead sides that you can make a day or two beforehand and taste delicious re-heated. Bookmark a website with tasty and reliable turkey recipes and resources, like www.canadianturkey.ca, so you’re ready for the big day!
- To plan for leftovers, order a turkey that is several pounds bigger than what you need. Extra turkey can be stored and frozen to use for quick and easy meals later on.
- Leftover turkey freezes well. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for a quick start to a weekday meal. Visit www.canadianturkey.ca for recipe inspiration and create salads, soups, pastas or casseroles in a snap!
While you’re here, don’t forget to enter the great GIVEAWAY, it’s near the bottom of this page.
BONUS – As a special gift, just for our readers and compliments of Canadian Turkey, we have included this FREE DOWNLOADABLE –> The Ultimate Guide to Thanksgiving, Our Favourite Turkey Recipes. It’s full of helpful tips, insider recipes, and valuable how-to’s.
PIN IT – Thanksgiving turkey with fig and walnut dressing –> Get the recipe HERE
Whether you’re planning for weeknight dinners, weekend family nights, or gatherings with special friends, Canadian turkey can be the cornerstone of every meal. Try swapping turkey for the usual protein in any of your favourite recipes and get ready to be surprised at how delicious and tasty it will be. There are so many ways to get cooking with turkey and Canadian Turkey Month is a great time to treat your family to some new and exciting turkey recipes!
Looking for additional tips, recipes, Turkey Basics videos and HOW TOs? Follow the hashtag #TurkeyTime and visit canadianturkey.ca for all your cooking inspiration. Canadian Turkey makes your Thanksgiving easy with all the recipe suggestions and turkey prep tips you need. The Year-Round WHOLE TURKEY HOW TOs section will help you prepare a whole Canadian turkey for your friends and family for any occasion. And the recipe section is filled with delicious recipes for whole turkey and turkey cuts so you can get tasty, nutritious and versatile turkey on your table every day!
WIN – a $75 Hudson’s Bay e-gift card (redeemable at The Bay, Home Outfitters, or thebay.com) to help you celebrate Canadian Turkey Month!
DATES – Giveaway closes at 11:59 PM AT on October 12, 2018
ELIGIBILITY – Open to residents of Canada 18+.
TO ENTER – Using the Giveaway Tools form below, simply follow the instructions, complete the mandatory entries, (which unlock the optional entries), plus any or all the optional entries for your chance to win this prize.
Best of luck everyone!