I LOVE yogurt and eat it almost everyday. Most of us are familiar with yogurt and it’s benefits; but are you acquainted with the benefits of kefir? Do you know what kefir is?
Until recently, I did not have much knowledge of kefir. I had heard of it, knew it was a yogurt like drink, but that was about it.
So, I have done a bit of research and this is what I have found:
- Kefir is a fermented milk drink made with kefir “grains” (a yeast/bacterial fermentation starter).
- Originating over 2,000 years ago in the Caucasus Mountains – – where many people live well over 100 years — kefir has been associated with a long list of health benefits.
- Kefir is cultured for twelve hours, whereas most yogurts are cultured anywhere from two to eight hours. It is that extra time that gives kefir its high probiotic activity count.
- It has a thinner consistency than yogurt and is typically sold as a beverage. You can drink it, pour it over cereal and granola, use it as a base in dips, or blend it with fruit to make a smoothie.
- Kefir is a source of probiotics, live organisms (like bacteria and yeast) that, when consumed in certain amounts, is considered to exert health benefits.
- Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are thought to be good for your health, especially your digestive system. Your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called good bacteria, because they help keep your digestive system healthy.
- Probiotics are also thought to help inhibit the growth of unfriendly, disease-causing bacteria and stimulate the body’s immune response.
- Drinking kefir and consuming foods to which kefir has been added boosts the amount of “good” intestinal flora.
- The PC® Kefir milks I have been drinking contain 2 billion probiotic live active cultures per 250mls. Which is about three times the probiotics of many yogurts.
- A higher probiotic count per serving means bigger potential benefits to your digestive health and immune system.
It took me a while to get used to drinking plain kefir, I found the taste and texture a bit unusual. I find the flavoured kefir more to my liking and have also used both the flavoured and the plain in smoothies, which are delicious! You can also find kefir in frozen treats and there are also dips available that use kefir as the base. Add some whole grain crackers or crunchy vegetables to a platter with kefir dip and you have a tasty, healthy snack.
President’s Choice® wants to give you the opportunity to try kefir! (or anything in their stores) They are giving one lucky Canadian, the chance to win a $50.00 PC® Gift Card.
DATES – Giveaway closes at 11:59PM on April 10th, 2015
ELIGIBILITY – Open to all residents of Canada
TO ENTER – Using the Giveaway Tools form below, simply follow the instructions, complete the mandatory entry, (which unlocks the optional entries), plus any or all the optional entries for your chance to win this prize! Good luck!