Tangerine’s first Community Gym takes place in Vancouver
Tangerine is a bank that delivers simplified everyday banking to Canadians, but that is not all they do. Tangerine has gone the extra mile. They are committed to empowering Canadians – not just by providing them with tools and resources to take control of their finances, but by giving them the confidence and skills they need to take positive action in their own lives.
Tangerine is working with organizations across the country. Whether it’s helping youth develop self-esteem and leadership skills on a basketball court, delivering mentorship and career building skills to new Canadians looking for work, or delivering healthy food and food education, they and their partners are helping to promote a sense of self-confidence, belonging and empowerment.
They believe building confident in people will help form the backbone of strong communities. To that end, Tangerine is partnering with organizations and supporting initiatives that encourage self-esteem, leadership, belonging and acceptance – things we all need to create a #BrightWayForward for ourselves and others.
Tangerine’s #BrightWayForward program supports local charities in various ways, from sponsorships to financial donations. The idea is to allow Canadians to succeed in all walks of life by helping them unlock their potential.
Through its work with initiatives such as…
- Park Builds – Tangerine, Bienenstock Natural Playgrounds and the city of Moncton will come together with employees and community members to build a Natural Playground in one day! This will be their fifth Natural Playground build in Canada with Bienenstock.
I am super excited about this plan as it is happening in a community, not too far from where I live and I am going to be there!
- Community Gyms – Tangerine’s Community Gym program is an extension of the #BrightWayForward philosophy, working with Canadian Youth to teach them about leadership, teamwork and confidence through half-day basketball and life skills events. The Community Gym Program is taking place in three Canadian cities – Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal with a goal to inspire more than 450 participating youth between the ages of 9 and 13.
- ACCES Employment – empowers job seekers from diverse backgrounds who are facing barriers to employment.
- FoodShare – advocates for equal access to healthy food; works with schools and communities to deliver healthy food and food education.
- UNITY Charity – uses the arts to empower youth with the confidence and skills for success.
- YMCA of Greater Toronto – focuses on providing every person in the community with opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership.
- Youth Without Shelter – an emergency residence and referral agency that provides homeless youth aged 16-24 with empowering support programs in a safe environment.
…Tangerine hopes to help build confidence and optimism among Canadians nationwide, and create a #BrightWayForward today and tomorrow.
On Wednesday, April 15, Tangerine hit the floor with 150 kids at the Toronto Central Grosvenor St. YMCA Centre for the second phase of our Community Gym, a half-day basketball and life-skills event for kids between the ages of 9 and 13, in partnership with Canada Basketball and UNITY Charity.
Partnership with Canada Basketball and Steve Nash
In addition to donating time and money to the organizations above, Tangerine employees will be working with Canada Basketball and Steve Nash Youth Basketball to provide youth from all walks of life, the opportunity to learn new skills, build self-confidence, practice teamwork, leadership, and gain a sense of belonging and acceptance.
“Tangerine’s support will help us provide skills, teamwork and leadership coaching to more than 15,000 kids in communities across Canada,” said Steve Nash, a two-time NBA MVP who also acts as General Manager of Canada’s senior men’s national basketball team. “By teaming up with Canada Basketball and all of these incredible charities, there’s no doubt #BrightWayForward will help inspire and make a positive difference in the lives of countless Canadians.”
Through its work with these respected organizations, Tangerine hopes to leverage the optimism and inclusiveness that Canadians are known for to create a positive impact today, while also inspiring others to get involved tomorrow – creating momentum that will enable people for years to come.
Happy Birthday Tangerine Bank and Congratulations on being #OneYearBolder
Although there has been an 18-year history with the bank serving Canadians, this is their first year as Tangerine.
To celebrate their 1st year anniversary since changing their name, Tangerine is raising awareness around their initiatives that encourage self-esteem, leadership, belonging and acceptance. This is also an opportunity to continue the #BrightWayForward conversation.
To help with this awesome cause, all you need to do is:
- On May 14th, 2015 snap a selfie, share a pic, talk with your friends and family and USE THE HASHTAG #OneYearBolder
- For each use of the hashtag on May 14th, Tangerine will donate $5 to the #BrightWayForward charities.
- Hurry, snap a pic, chat, socialize and help create a #BrightWayForward today and tomorrow!
To learn more about Tangerine’s sponsorship and community investment activities, please visit brightwayforward.ca.