I first had these Raspberry Squares when a work colleague brought them to a pot-luck dinner. I fell in love with them at first bite.
I remember asking right away if she would mind giving me the recipe and if they were difficult to make. She was happy to share the recipe, which was her grandmother’s and told me they were super easy to make.
That was more than ten years ago now and I have made them ever since. And my colleague wasn’t exaggerating when she said how easy these are to make. You can definitely whip them up in no time at all.
There are only five ingredients (including the salt!) and the variations on the jam component are endless.
I have made this recipe using blueberry jam, peach, strawberry and strawberry-blackberry and they have turned out perfectly every time. The choice of jam or preserve is up to you. Just use what you love.
Only five simple ingredients, including the salt!
Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
Mix in the flour and salt and press half the mixture into the bottom of your pan. I find it helpful to use the back of a measuring cup to get a nice even surface.
Spread your jam or preserves over the base. The choice of fruit is entirely up to you. Choose something you love.
Drop the remaining dough in little clumps over the jam. You are looking to achieve a bit of a random, cobblestone-like effect.
Bake until golden, chill, and remove from the pan (using the parchment as handles), and cut into 16 squares.
I make these squares often and have used a variety of jam fillings. They have always turned out perfectly.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- dash of salt
- ¾ cup Raspberry Jam (or Jam/Preserves of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a 8" x 8" baking pan with two 8" wide strips of parchment paper. Allowing the parchment to hang over the sides to easily remove the squares from the pan.
- Whisk together flour and salt.
- Combine sugar and butter, beat until creamy.
- Gradually beat flour mixture into sugar mixture.
- Press half of mixture into prepared pan.
- Top with jam/preserves of choice
- Crumble the other half of flour/sugar mixture over the top of the jam/preserves in a cobblestone-like pattern.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and cut into squares.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
As always, if you have any questions at all please feel free to answer and I will do my very best to answer.
This is mine, what is your “go-to” easy, foolproof and delicious square or cookie to make?