If you are looking for a high impact appetizer, that is delicious, easy to prepare and doesn’t cost a fortune, then you need to make these Loaded Baked Potato Skins. They really couldn’t be simpler to make and cost very little.
They are very easily customizable too! I often will add some cooked, crumbled bacon, but you could easily add finely diced and seeded tomatoes, peppers or whatever you like to have with your regular baked potatoes.
These are the perfect appetizer alone or even better when served with sour cream and/or salsa on the side for dipping!
- 6 large baking potatoes, baked.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 4 slices crispy cooked, chopped bacon (optional)
- Sour cream and salsa for serving.
- Using a stiff vegetable brush, scrub potatoes well and then, using a sharp knife, pierce the skin in several places.
- Bake potatoes at 400 degrees F. for the approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tender to the point of a knife. Cool.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and cut each half into 2 or three wedges.
- Scoop out pulp, leaving a ¼-in. shell (save pulp for another use).
- Place potato skins on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, chopped bacon, green onions, and chives and bake in a 400 degree F. Oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve with bowls of sour cream and salsa for dipping.
If you are looking for more yummy appetizers, check out my recipes for:
What is your favourite appetizer to make or snack on?
Do you make your own or pick something up at the local grocery store? ( Honestly…I do both. Some days there is just no time to make an appetizer, so I pick up something from the store, no shame in that!)