By now, I am sure many of you know that I LOVE muffins. I love baking them and unfortunately, I also love eating them!
This past weekend, my sister, a friend and I were having a big multi-family garage/yard sale at my place. The sale was starting at 8AM but we decided we needed to meet by 7:30 to put up some signs and make a few last-minute adjustments to the placement of some larger items.
I knew we would be going through multiple pots of coffee…another of my weaknesses, so I wanted to have something breakfast-like to go with the coffee.
I thumbed through some recipes and decided on an old recipe for Banana Oatmeal Muffins that I found in
my organized file, a baggie full of recipes.
The recipe makes a tasty, tender muffin with a nicely rounded top. Call me weird, but I like muffins with a nice domelike top. If they don’t have a top like that, I feel like I’m a bit of a failure at muffin making!
You should really use a whisk for this step, but I just used a fork to combine the dry ingredients. (It was early morning and I was feeling not yet awake enough to walk across the kitchen to retrieve a whisk)
Make sure you really mix the dry ingredients thoroughly, you want all the ingredients evenly combined.
Beat the eggs well and then add the milk, oil and mashed bananas.
Pour wet ingredients into centre of dry ingredients. Use your fork, (or if you are awake enough to walk across the room to get a rubber spatula), that would work even better, to stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
Gently combine the ingredients, you don’t over mix the batter or your muffins will be tough.
I used the larger of these two scoops to get the batter into the tins. I think the ice-cream scoop also helps to make a nice rounded top.
Don’t you love those awesome rounded tops!
What was left of the finished muffins when the yard sale was over and I had a chance to snap a picture.
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (NOT the instant type)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 ripe bananas, finely mashed (approximately 1 cup mashed banana)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Spray 12 muffin tins.
- Put the first six ingredients into a large bowl and whisk or stir well with a fork, to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- In a second, smaller bowl, using a fork, beat eggs.
- Add oil, milk and mashed bananas to eggs and stir with a fork to combine.
- Pour into well, stir gently to moisten all ingredients, don't overmix.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full. (I used an ice-cream scoop)
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
Hope you enjoy these delicious muffins and LOVE their beautiful domed tops!
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask and I will do my very best to answer.