Thank goodness summer has finally arrived! Schools will soon be out for the summer holiday, the days will be less structured and mealtime is going to be more casual. I love the relaxed, easy-going vibe of summer!
One of my favourite food items to cook with in the summer is Canadian Turkey. Turkey isn’t just for “special occasions”. I love having turkey in the summer months, it is so convenient and summer is the perfect season to cook, eat, and grill our favorite bird.
Turkey is a light and lean source of protein, perfect for those hot summer days. It’s packed with vitamins and essential nutrients, making it a healthy choice for your family, and it’s easy to prepare with a variety of cuts available.
If you have never tried it, turkey is fantastic on the grill! I also often use ground turkey in a variety of casseroles and one-dish meals and turkey burgers and sausages are delicious and readily available at your local grocery store. I also love to cook a turkey on the weekend and use it for lunches and dinners throughout the week, it’s a great everyday choice.
Turkey is a great option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The many different cuts to choose from make it easy to change up your meals. It’s versatile and easy to prepare – just substitute for the meat protein in your favourite recipe. Remember – switch, swap, substitute! Turkey is the perfect option.
To give you some turkey inspiration and show you how easy it is to incorporate Canadian Turkey into your meals, check out this recipe (below) for delicious BBQ Turkey Club with Spicy Mayo.
- 1 lb turkey breast, sliced
- 1 avocado
- 6 pieces thick sliced bacon
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 large round loaf sourdough bread
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps spicy mayo (recipe follows)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp and cooked 8-12 minutes.
- Slice the turkey breast into even ¾ inch slices.
- Brush with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium heat until cooked through, 4-6 minutes per side.
- Let cool.
- Cut three thick slices of sourdough bread from the middle of the loaf, in order to get the largest slices possible.
- Brush with the rest of the olive oil and grill for 1- 2 minutes each side until lightly browned.
- Add cheese to bread while still on the grill until melted.
- Assemble sandwich. Slather bread with spicy mayo. Layer on tomato slices, turkey breast, avocado and bacon.
4 tbsps mayonnaise
1 tsp Sriracha
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1. Combine all items and mix thoroughly.
Be sure to look for this label and ask for Canadian raised Turkey next time you’re grocery shopping. Then you’ll know you’re putting Canadian quality on your table – from our farmers’ families to yours.
“Turkey – It’s A Fresh Idea.”
For more information on delicious Canadian Turkey, you may wish to follow along on their website and social media channels. Also, keep an eye out for the hashtag #FreshIdea :
Enter to win a $75 prepaid Visa gift card that you can use for groceries to help get some Canadian Turkey on your table!
DATES – Giveaway closes at 11:59 PM on June 24th, 2016
ELIGIBILITY – Open to residents of Canada 18+
TO ENTER – Using the Giveaway Tools form below, simply follow the instructions, complete the mandatory entry, (which unlocks the optional entries), plus any or all the optional entries for your chance to win this prize!
Good luck everyone!