Bladder leakage is the involuntary loss of bladder control. Beyond the physical impact of the condition, bladder leakage can have a broad-reaching effect on one’s emotional, mental and social life.
As a woman who has experienced bladder leakage, I know firsthand how vital it is to have the proper protective products available. Otherwise, fear of leaks, which can be both uncomfortable and embarrassing could limit my everyday activities.
Without the confidence of knowing I am protected, routine outings such as going to work, shopping, dinner out, exercising or even an evening with friends or family would be next to impossible.
BLADDER LEAKAGE FACTS:
- As many as 3.5 million Canadians — nearly 10% of the population — experience some form of bladder leakage.
- Despite how common the condition is, many people don’t talk to anyone about their symptoms as they feel embarrassed.
- Men and women of all ages can experience leaks; while it can have a broad-reaching impact, it does not need to consume your life.
- There are many factors that can contribute to bladder leakage, including:
- Natural changes in our bodies – enlargement of the prostate in men, or weakness of the pelvic floor muscles in women (childbirth or menopause).
- Certain medications prescribed for conditions unrelated to the urinary system.
- Diet: Certain foods and drinks can irritate the bladder and exacerbate leakage symptoms.
- The effects of various foods on bladder leakage vary from person to person and you should test different foods listed below to determine which ones affect you personally and avoid the ones that trigger your leaks.
Many people, both men and women, for a variety of reasons, have a more severe form of bladder leakage that can be very detrimental to their well being, if not properly managed.
These people may experience symptoms such as frequent or constant dribbling of urine due to a bladder that doesn’t empty completely. Or they may have a physical or mental impairment that prevents them from making it to the toilet in time.
Often times, some of those who experience bladder leakage need a specialty undergarment, such as a Depend, to manage their leaks and give them the confidence and comfort they need to go about their busy days.
THREE MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS FOR BLADDER LEAKAGE:
It’s common for those who experience bladder leakage to either mismanage or not address their symptoms at all.
In fact, over 80% of men with leakage don’t use any products at all and 79% of women with leakage either don’t use any products or use menstrual products that don’t offer protection against leakage and lock in odour the way bladder leakage protection products do.
The implications of using the wrong product or not using any product at all are broad-reaching and can include interrupted sleep, cause one to miss out on special occasions for fear of an accident, or lose intimacy in a relationship due to a loss in confidence.
- Bladder Leakage Products
- For more frequent and heavier leakage:
- Depend® Silhouette® Briefs for Women can help manage bladder leakage as the undergarment comfortably delivers maximum protection with a super absorbent core that turns liquid into gel and traps in odours while offering seamless discretion.
- Depend® Real-Fit® Briefs for Men looks, feels and fits like real underwear with a form-fitting waistband for a secure fit and maximum absorbency assuring you comfort and odour-free protection throughout your day.
- For lighter leakage:
- Poise® Thin Shape® Pads for Women gives you the security you need and comfort you want each day. The pads are quick to lock in wetness and odor, has leak-block sides and thin-flex technology. The Super Absorbent Material leaves you feeling 3X drier than similar sized period pads, providing you the comfort and protection you deserve.
- Depend® Guards for Men fit comfortably inside your underwear and move seamlessly with your body to deliver less bulk with a super-absorbent core that quickly wicks away wetness and locks in odour to give you the security you need.
- Nighttime protection:
- Depend® Night Defense® for Women a lightweight, heavy-protection underwear with more coverage area that is designed specifically for nighttime use. The snug, comfortable fit and super-absorbent core protects against leaks and odours so you can sleep soundly throughout the night and in any position. Poise® Overnight Pads for women who experience light bladder leakage. Its unique shape is designed with a 75% wider back, providing more coverage to help protect from leaks while lying down.
- Poise® Overnight Pads for women who experience light bladder leakage. Its unique shape is designed with a 75% wider back, providing more coverage to help protect from leaks while lying down.
2. Kegel Exercises
These exercises strengthen the muscles that help control urination. They not only improve bladder control but Kegel’s increase blood flow to sexual organs and enhance sexual pleasure – a welcome bonus to a dedicated therapeutic plan. How to do Kegel exercises:
1. Locate your pelvic floor muscles by trying to stop your urine flow
2. Squeeze and hold those muscles for three seconds, relax for another three seconds and repeat 10 times
3. Do 3-4 sets of 10 squeezes per day, and you may begin to feel significant improvement controlling your bladder in just a few weeks
Certain foods and drinks can irritate the bladder and exacerbate leakage symptoms. The effects of various foods on bladder leakage vary from person to person and you should test different foods listed below to determine which ones affect you personally and avoid the ones that trigger your leaks.
– Caffeine and alcohol
– Acidic foods
– Artificial sweeteners
– Hot spices
– Carbonated drink
During my career as a nurse, I have often, assisted patients in the use of these specialty bladder leakage products, explained how to do Kegel exercises and advised people regarding food triggers.
Having the right information and the correct products available is life-changing for many. They can now finally live their life to its fullest without the fear of embarrassment or distress.
It is so rewarding to see firsthand the increased independence, dignity and self-esteem gained by people when they have the knowledge and the option to wear the bladder leakage protection that is right for them!
Bladder leakage can often hold us back from doing the things we love due to fear of an accident or a decreased self-esteem. With innovative products from Depend, both men and women can trust the superior protection and uncompromising comfort through the most underwear-like fit and feel.
Visit Depend.com for a free sample and see what you can gain back!
For additional information, be sure to follow Depend® on their social media channels:
Disclosure: This post is sponsored in partnership with Depend®. As always, all opinions are our own.