Disclosure: This post is sponsored in partnership with Canadian Turkey. As always, all opinions are our own.
I love the slow, easy pace of this time of year. The hectic holidays are just a memory and life has settled back into somewhat of a routine. Work and school have resumed and the off hours are reserved for fun winter activities like ice skating, tobogganing, skiing and snowshoeing.
The cold weather and lots of outdoor activities make the winter months the perfect time of year for body and soul-warming food. A new year means getting back to basics, and the way we eat and the foods we choose are a critical part of making healthy choices.
We all want the best for our families, but sometimes it can feel challenging to find new ways to keep our family eating well. That doesn’t need to be an issue though because it’s easy to kick off great habits in the kitchen simply by making over everyday favourites using turkey as a key ingredient.
Turkey is a whole, nutrient-rich food (meaning it has a lot of nutrients per calorie), and fits into an overall high-quality diet that is good for you without compromising on flavor or taste! Did you know you can swap turkey for any protein in all of your favourite recipes and instantly make a leaner, healthier choice? Both dark and white meat cuts work well with different spice blends so you can customize for your own family’s preferences and habits without compromise.
Finding meal solutions that will help you easily feed your family is a great way to get a head start on a busy week. I find Canadian turkey to be the perfect ingredient for many of my everyday meals, and I can also count on leftovers to make some healthy and quick dishes during those busy days. There’s nothing better than preparing delicious dishes for the remainder of the week or filling your freezer with pre-made meals to use on your next busy weeknight.
5 Reasons to Make Over Everyday Meals with Turkey!
Here’s why you can feel great adding turkey to all your meals and snacks:
1. Canadian turkey is a lean source of high-quality protein. Eating enough protein at each meal provides you with long-lasting energy so you can stay satisfied
2. White turkey cuts are a low fat, extra-lean choice with just 3 grams of fat per 100-gram serving.
3. Dark cuts are lean too, with just 8 grams of fat per 100-gram serving. Plus, dark turkey cuts provide even more iron and zinc (which are key in keeping us healthy during cold and flu season).
4. Turkey is nutrient-rich, packed with protein, vitamins, and minerals that we need for good health.
5. All fresh cuts of turkey are naturally low in sodium. And because turkey is super tasty, you don’t need salty marinades to enhance the flavour.
This recipe below for Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage is not only super tasty and nutritious, I love that it can be prepped ahead of time. On those busy mornings all you need to do is cook the eggs and assemble. So easy!
While you’re here, don’t forget to enter the great GIVEAWAY, it’s near the bottom of this page.
BONUS – As a special gift, just for our readers and compliments of Canadian Turkey, we have included this FREE DOWNLOADABLE, with a variety of ways to build a better breakfast bowl! (If you want a preview, I have it posted at the bottom of this page!)
Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage
- 3-4 Canadian turkey sausages
- 2 cups Sweet potato, diced
- 3 cups Kale, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove turkey meat from the sausage casings. Take one-third of the meat, roll into a ball and flatten into a patty. As an alternative, slice the sausage into pieces.2. Cook the sausage patties/pieces for 4-6 minutes per side on medium heat until no longer pink and cooked through. Set aside.3. Heat oil over medium heat. Cook sweet potatoes on all sides until cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.4. Sauté zucchini and kale until cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.5. The recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead at this point.6. Cook eggs to your preference.7. Assemble the bowls; use the kale as the base, top with sweet potatoes, zucchini, avocado, eggs, and sausage.8. Serve!
TIP - Feel free to experiment with these breakfast bowls! You can use any variety of veggies you have on hand and use a variety of grains as a base too.
If eating well is on your list of resolutions, keep your planning simple so you can stick with those healthy habits all year long. When it comes to healthy eating, one of the most positive steps you can take is to try to get back to basics and cook from scratch more often.
When you cook your meals from scratch, you can control what goes into your food, like added salt and fat. Cooking with mostly whole food ingredients ensures that you are providing your family with the nutrients they need for good health. And you can start with a lean ingredient like turkey as the building block for all your meal makeovers to create nutritious meals that still taste delicious and satisfying.
PIN IT – Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage
Looking for additional tips, recipes and HOW TOs? Follow the #MakeItWithTurkey hashtag and visit Canadian Turkey for all your cooking inspiration.The recipe section is filled with wonderful recipes for full meals, snacks, appetizers, and family favourites. There is WHOLE TURKEY HOW TOs packed with helpful tips and instructions. You’ll find a goldmine of ideas in the recipe section for make-ahead dishes and leftovers. There’s nothing better than making some delectable dishes for the rest of the week or stashing some pre-made meals in the freezer for a busy weeknight.
WIN – a $75 prepaid Visa gift card to help one lucky reader makeover your meals with Canadian turkey!
DATES – Giveaway closes at 11:59 PM AT on March 15, 2019
ELIGIBILITY – Open to residents of Canada 18+.
TO ENTER – Using the Giveaway Tools form below, simply follow the instructions, complete the mandatory entries, (which unlock the optional entries), plus any or all the optional entries for your chance to win this prize.
Best of luck everyone!