I love biscuits! They are versatile, so simple to make and can be used in either a sweet (think Strawberry Shortcake) or a savoury application.
They are perfect slathered with a little peanut butter or honey for breakfast or a little snack and with the addition of some cheddar cheese, they are the perfect accompaniment to chili, soups, salads and stews.
If I need a little something to “go along with” the main course. Biscuits are what I usually bake.
Did I mention how easy they are to make? From start to finish you can have them in the oven in less than 15 minutes.
Place first 5 ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
Cut butter into flour until the mixture appears crumbly and the butter pieces are no larger than pea-sized.
Add the grated cheddar cheese. I find a fork works well to combine the cheese and flour mixture.
Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the cold milk. Using your fork, stir gently just to combine and then dump the mixture onto a floured countertop and gently knead 8-10 times to bring the dough together.
Pat dough into a rectangular shape, about ½″ – ¾″ in thickness. Cut into 12 equal pieces or cut in circles using a medium round cutter.
At this point, many people will brush the tops of the biscuits with milk, cream or an egg wash. I don’t bother, I find they brown nicely without it.
Hot from the oven, they smell amazing and have doubled in height.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ cup cold butter (cut into very small cubes)
- 1 cup grated old (sharp) cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of cold milk (or buttermilk)
- Place first 5 ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Cut butter into flour until the mixture appears crumbly and the butter pieces are no larger than pea-sized.
- Add grated cheese, stir with a fork.
- Pour in milk and stir quickly, but gently, to combine.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead gently 8-10 times.
- Pat dough until approximately ½″ – ¾″ in thickness
- Cut into 12 equal pieces or into rounds using a medium cutter.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for at least ½ hour.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes. or until golden brown.
- When cool enough to touch, remove biscuits from pan and place on wire rack.
- **TIP** Handle the dough gently and whatever you don't overwork it!
I hope you will give these easy to make Cheddar Cheese Biscuits a try the next time you need a little something to snack on or to “go along with” the main course.
If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer them.