A few days ago we went on a shopping trip to our local big box store to stock up on some essentials. Well, you can probably guess how that went — we came home with way more than just the essentials…hahahahaha!
Really though, who can resist the great prices on all the fruits and vegetables? Apparently, not me!
After a couple big dinners and a few appetizer veggie plates, we still had four peppers left that needed to be used ASAP. So, whatever we made for dinner, had to include these peppers. We decided on Chicken and Veggie Fajitas as we already had most of the ingredients on hand and just needed to pick up some flour tortillas and sour cream.
The Fajitas turned out great, they were easy to make and so flavourful. Plus, I hate wasting food, so it felt good to use the peppers that were languishing in the fridge!
- 2-3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in strips
- 3-4 large peppers (variety of colours), cut in strips
- 1 large onion, cut in half and then into half-moon shaped strips
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 large flour tortillas, warmed
- ADD ONS
- grated old cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Pour oil into a large skillet
- Pan fry chicken strips until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and cover with foil.
- To the same skillet add sliced vegetables and pan fry until tender/crisp.
- Add chicken back to pan and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings, stir.
- Add the ⅓ cup of salsa and stir to combine. Keep warm.
- Spoon filling down the centre of tortillas, leaving a couple of inches at the bottom. Fold bottom up and then sides toward the centre.
- Serve with grated cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream.
PIN IT — CHICKEN AND VEGGIE FAJITAS
As always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer them.
If you are looking for some more inspiration for dinner, check out the MAIN COURSE & SIDES section of our RECIPE BOX.