Chocolate Mousse Squares ~ The summer is rapidly approaching and we will soon be in the midst of many holidays including summer vacations, national holidays, birthdays and barbecues.
For the most part, we still have the regular family and work responsibilities, but also want to take advantage of the fabulous summer weather to host or attend a few random get-togethers with family and friends.
I have a entertaining secret to share with you!
Next time you’re invited to a potluck, office party or are having friends for a dinner, I have the answer to the “what can I take?” or “what will we have for dessert?” questions. Well in advance, I make a pan or two of these fabulous, no-bake Chocolate Mousse Squares and have them tucked away in the freezer, ready to impress.
The first time I had these deliciously decadent, Chocolate Mousse Squares was several years ago. A fellow nurse and I were working the weekend shift in the Operating Room and she brought in a pan of these squares as a little dinnertime treat!
It was love at first bite! These squares are a silky, smooth, creamy delight; once you have one, you will definitely be hooked.
Today, in advance of the holiday madness, I am making a batch of these squares. these are the perfect dessert for both a random potluck or an elegant holiday dinner party!
They are super easy to make and the best part, you can make them days ahead and just store them in your freezer. (NOTE – To avoid encountering the “empty pan phenomenon”, I suggest storing these squares under tight security!)
Gather everything you will need. There is nothing worse than getting part way through a recipe only to discover you are missing an ingredient.
Mix cookie crumbs and melted butter together; press into bottom of the pan.
Using an electric mixer, beat cheese until smooth and creamy.
Beat in milk, then melted chocolate and finally, Cool Whip until well combined.
Pour over prepared crust.
Line your square pan with two alternating strips of parchment paper. (Leave an overlap on all sides to facilitate easy removal of frozen squares from the pan.)
The delicious, completed, Chocolate Mousse Squares.
TIP – Remove the squares from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving. This allows them to soften a little and facilitates immediate devouring!
- 1¼ cup dark chocolate cookie crumbs
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted (melt according to package directions)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tubs plain, spreadable style cream cheese
- 2 cups Cool Whip, thawed
- Line a square pan, I used a Baker's Secret 20 cm x 20 cm x 5.2cm (~ 8"x8"x2") with two alternating 8-inch strips of parchment paper. (Leave an overlap on all sides to facilitate easy removal of squares from the pan)
- Mix cookie crumbs and melted butter together; press into bottom of the pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the milk then melted chocolate and finally, Cool Whip until well combined.
- Pour over the prepared crust.
- If desired, top with a sprinkling of additional cookie crumbs.
- Freeze for a minimum of 4-6 hours.
- Remove dessert from freezer 15 minutes prior to serving.
- To serve, using parchment, lift squares from pan to a cutting board and slice.
I hope having a pan or two of these Decadent Chocolate Mousse Squares are tucked away in your freezer, relieves some of your entertaining or potluck stress.
As always, if you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Do you like to have a stash of goodies stored in your freezer for unexpected guests?