If you love the fresh tangy taste of lemon, these Lemon Squares are for you! They’re pretty easy to make, a little different from the norm and have an incredibly luscious lemon taste.
I also love the intense contrast of flavours in these squares. You have the rich, creaminess of the sweetened condensed milk and sugar contrasted by lots of tangy lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. Plus, the crust has a denseness and crunch while the filling is a soft, velvety and pale yellow with specks of zest throughout.
If I make these for a special event, I will sometimes top them with a little piece of lemon and a raspberry for contrast, but that step is completely optional.
PIN IT – LEMON SQUARES
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 10 ounces (284 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- zest from 2 lemons
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approximately 3 large lemons)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- Optional - lemon slices quartered and fresh raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add softened butter, graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a rubber spatula or your hands (my tool of choice) mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Pack mixture into a greased and then parchment lined 9”x9” (22cm x 22cm) pan. ( To help with removal, I usually put two 9” strip of parchment across the bottom and up the sides of the pan.)
- Use the bottom of a metal measuring cup to help pack and even out the crumb mixture.
- In a large clean bowl, add sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Whisk until completely combined.
- Pour over bottom layer and using an offset spatula or the back of a large spoon, spread evenly over the base.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and slightly browned.
- Cool completely, refrigerate for 30 minutes and then cut into 25 squares.
- Store squares in the refrigerator
As always, if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer.