This is one recipe we all need to have in our repertoire of “go to recipes”! They are so easy to make in almost no time at all and the perfect accompaniment to soups, salads, chowders and so many other meals.
Buttery, soft, and made completely from scratch with only 7 ingredients (that I bet you already have on hand), these homemade biscuits will be the star of any meal!
Flakey and delicious, they’re perfect on their own with butter and jam or peanut butter…my personal favourite…for breakfast, but you can also use them in the next recipe that calls for biscuits…like Strawberry Shortcake…YUM!
These biscuits are patiently waiting to be made into delicious Strawberry Shortcake!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ cup cold butter
- 1 cup of cold milk (or buttermilk)
- granulated sugar for finishing (optional)
- Place first 5 ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Cut butter into flour until the mixture appears crumbly and the butter pieces are no larger than pea-sized.
- Pour in milk and stir quickly, but gently, to combine.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead gently 8-10 times.
- Pat dough until approximately ½″ – ¾″ in thickness
- Cut into 8-12 pieces or cut using a medium round cutter.
- If using in a dessert such as Strawberry Shortcake, sprinkle with sugar
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for at least ½ hour.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes. or until golden brown.
- When cool enough to touch, remove biscuits from pan and place on wire rack.
- **TIP** Handle the dough gently and whatever you do…don't overwork it!
As always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer!
What’s your favourite way to eat biscuits?