A couple days ago I found a bag of frozen cranberries, left over from Christmas no doubt, in the back of my freezer. Since muffins are my favourite thing to bake and I also had a fresh lemon on hand, I decided to modify my recipe for Blueberry Muffins and try to make some Glazed Lemon and Cranberry Muffins.
Wow, what a great decision! And, if I dare say so myself, they were incredible. They are light but not at all dry, I think that’s because of the sour cream. They have a bit of tang from the lemon and cranberries but that was nicely offset by the sweetness of the glaze.
I strongly urge you give these delicious Glazed Lemon and Cranberry Muffins a try, I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- zest of 1 large lemon (reserve a little bit for the glaze)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ cups roughly chopped cranberries (Mix with 1 tablespoon of flour, to coat berries)
- 1 cup icing sugar mixed with 1½ - 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and a little bit of the lemon zest.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and spray 12 large muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs and gradually add sugar, continue whisking until pale yellow in colour.
- Continue whisking while slowly pouring in oil, vanilla, and lemon juice
- Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture, alternating with the sour cream.
- Gently fold in cranberries and lemon zest.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for ~ 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and remove from tins before adding glaze
- In a small bowl combine Icing sugar and lemon juice.
- Spoon over cooled muffins
I topped the glazed muffins with a little lemon zest and sparkling sugar, but this is optional
PIN IT – Glazed Lemon and Cranberry Muffins
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer.
If you are interested in some more great muffin recipes? Check these out: