Is there anything more comforting on a cold, snowy night or a chilly, rainy day than coming home to a big bowl of steaming chicken noodle soup? To me, chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food and the only way it could possibly be improved on…is to make it homemade!
If we buy a little chicken for dinner, I always make chicken stock from the carcass and more often than not, a batch of some type of chicken soup. Sometimes it’s chicken and rice soup but often it’s this recipe for, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
It’s not difficult to make and is also a great weekend lunch or light supper. If you don’t make your own stock, (I need to post a recipe for mine!), you could substitute with a low sodium, boxed style, chicken broth. I say low sodium because some commercial varieties have loads of salt, so this way you can somewhat regulate the amount of salt in your broth.
And, what is the perfect accompaniment to homemade soup? Why Homemade Pan Rolls of course!
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2 large cloves, minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth (homemade or good quality, low sodium store-bought)
- 1½ cups cooked, chopped, white meat of chicken
- ¾ cups soup noodles
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- roughly chopped Italian parsley to garnish (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stirring frequently, cook carrots, onion, and celery in butter until just tender, 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Stir in chicken, noodles, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes before serving.
PIN IT – Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
What is your favourite soup to make or eat?
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer.
If you are interested in some more great soup/chowder recipes? Check these out: