It doesn’t matter if you are going away for a week or a weekend, there is no need to bring so much luggage that you need to employ “the Hulk” to carry it. With a few simple storage techniques and a little bit of planning, you should be able to pack your entire trips worth of stuff into a smaller, more manageable suitcase.
If you pack too much you are suddenly paying to check your luggage. Keep in mind there are usual ways of doing laundry at your destination, be it a laundromat or a laundry service at the hotel. Pack light and if you need to do a load of laundry, then so be it. Because, if your bag is too full…how in the world do you plan on bringing home any souvenirs?
What to bring:
- Event, activity, and weather appropriate attire
- Tip – It’s also a good idea to check the weather forecast at your destination prior to packing your suitcase. You may need to include a raincoat or a sweater!
To Fold or Roll?
There are two different ideas when it comes to packing a suitcase. Rolling your clothes can help to create more space but can cause unsightly wrinkles. Folding is much less likely to wrinkle your clothes but takes up more space. So, which do you choose? The answer is both. Roll any wrinkle resistant materials like wool, cotton and knits but stick to folding items like dress clothes or collared shirts. Combining both techniques is a fantastic way to optimize the space in your luggage.
- Open your suitcase and lay it flat on it’s back.
- Using your shoes as a vessel, pack them with some undergarments and socks and place them at the bottom of the bag.
- Lay down a layer of your heavier rolled items on top of the shoes. Make sure to choose things like sweaters and jeans for this step. Pack them in tightly to prevent wasted space.
- Now take your rolled t-shirts and place them on the next layer as tightly as possible.
- Place your folded items on the next layer, this will allow you to access them easily when you arrive at your destination, so they can be hung.
- The next layer consists of any lightweight items you may have such as belts or other accessories. Make sure to place them in any nooks and crannies to keep your packing job stabilized during transport.
- Put your toiletries into a leak proof, water proof bags and place them on top.
- You are DONE
It is important that you are packing effectively and efficiently for your travels. After all, you don’t want to be worrying about how you will ever fit everything in your suitcase on the return trip, you have some relaxing to attend to!
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and who would you take with you?