There’s often a very good reason for the longevity of some recipes. You know, the recipes your grandmother made, your mom made and now you make. The reason? The recipe is often easy to make and the resulting product always tastes…incredible!
This is one of those recipes. It has only five simple ingredients, you don’t need any fancy equipment plus these Old-Fashioned Lemon Bars can be whipped up in no time at all.
I recently took these to a family barbecue and my aunt told me, her mom (my maternal grandmother), used to make these all the time. My grandmother has been gone for about 40 years now, so this recipe has been around for a long time.
I found this version in an old cookbook. The book was published years ago by a local hospital auxiliary and has lots of old-fashioned recipes. Unfortunately, no names were attributed to the recipes, so not sure who originally created this yummy treat. Who knows, maybe it was my grandmother!
- 1 cup cold butter cut in small pieces
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Lemon Layer
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- zest of two lemons very finely chopped
- ⅔ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (Depending on their size, approximately 3-4 lemons)
- Using a pastry cutter, two knives or your hands (which is what I use) blend together the butter sugar and flour.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a parchment paper lined 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes. This will harden the butter and result in a flakier base.
- Bake for 20 to minutes at 350 degrees F. The edges should be just beginning to brown slightly.
- Lemon Layer
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, eggs, zest and lemon juice until the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes and then whisk well again.
- Pour over the baked base.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for another 20- 25 minutes or until the top custard appears to be set.
- Cool completely.
- Optional - Dust bars with icing sugar before serving.
PIN IT — OLD-FASHIONED LEMON BARS
As always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer them.
If you are looking for more yummy dessert ideas, check out the DESSERT SECTION of our RECIPE BOX.