When my husband makes dinner Macaroni Surprise is often his go-to meal. He has worked with a couple of family recipes and created his “masterpiece”. It’s so nice to walk in the door at dinner time and feel the love and smell the delicious aroma of this casserole baking! Over the years, the kids and I have lovingly dubbed it “Macaroni Surprise”.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 200 gms egg noodles OR 1 1/2 cups macaroni pasta cooked to al dente
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- In a large frying pan cook ground beef, when nearly done, add onions and green pepper, continue to fry until vegetables and meat are thoroughly cooked. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato soup, brown sugar and salt & pepper. Stir to combine. Add noodles, combine gently. Pour into large greased casserole dish and top with grated cheese. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees F. for 25 minutes.
I love this quick, old fashioned meal served with a nice garden salad on the side. Music Man is more about the pasta and the meat, but I think I side salad rounds the meal out nicely.
We will often make some garlic bread to go with this too. Perfect for catching any tomatoey drips!
Hope you enjoy and if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask and I will pass them along to Music Man, who will answer them for you.