Wow…where did this summer go? I can barely believe that fall is already here! It just seems like yesterday we were setting up the patio furniture, and planning day trips and vacations. While I will definitely miss the summer, there is something rather comforting about the autumn of the year. The hectic comings and goings of the summer are in the past and life settles into more of a routine. This is the time of year for fluffy blankets, warm woolen sweaters, and yummy comfort food!
In my mind, there is nothing better than coming home after a long day of work, school, or running errands to some healthy snacking foods, like a Mezze platter. A Mezze platter works great as an appetizer and will satisfy your hunger while dinner is being prepared, but the communal plates of delicious bits and bites also makes a perfect low-key meal.
This recipe for Middle Eastern Mezze Platter that I am going to share, features products from the newly re-launched President”s Choice® Blue Menu™ line. You may have noticed the new packaging, but what you may not know is many of the PC® Blue Menu™ products have also been recently reformulated – because when it comes to choosing healthy meals for your family, it’s no longer just about less calories, less fat, less sodium; it’s about getting more. More protein, more fibre, more vegetables and definitely, more flavour!
As consumers, we once focused on cutting things out of our diets, but today it’s all about fueling our families with the things that keep them going. With that in mind, President’s Choice® has refreshed their PC® Blue Menu™ line. They believe healthier lifestyles involve finding the balance between spending time with people you love and creating family friendly meals that fuel your full and active life, any time of day. With the relaunch of PC® Blue Menu™ it’s never been easier to provide your family more of what they want and need this back-to-school season.
In this Middle Eastern Mezze Platter recipe, the President’s Choice® Blue Menu™ chefs have paired shawarma-spiced lentil bites with creamy hummus, spicy roasted carrots and an herbed tahini sauce for a super-easy supper that’s meant for sharing. Pack up any leftovers for lunch the next day!
- 6 carrots
- 5 tsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) PC® Black Label Harissa Spice Blend
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded red cabbage (about quarter of a head)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tahini
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each chopped fresh cilantro, fresh mint and fresh parsley
- 1 pkg (400 g) frozen PC® Blue Menu Lentil & Bean Bites
- 1 pkg (250 g) PC® Blue Menu Naan Flatbreads (2 flatbreads)
- 1 pkg (227 g) PC® Hummus Chickpea Dip And Spread
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- Half English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Arrange 1 oven rack in centre and 1 oven rack in lower third of oven.
- Peel and trim carrots; halve crosswise. Cut larger pieces lengthwise in quarters and smaller pieces lengthwise in half. Toss together carrots, 1 tbsp oil and harissa in large bowl. Arrange in single layer on parchment paper-lined large baking sheet. Bake in lower third of oven, flipping carrots once, until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss together cabbage, 1 tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp pepper and remaining 2 tsp oil in separate large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Whisk together tahini, cilantro, mint, parsley, remaining 2 tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp pepper and 2 tbsp water in small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Arrange frozen bites in single layer on greased separate large baking sheet. Bake in centre of oven 5 to 6 minutes. Flip bites; bake in centre of oven 3 minutes. Push bites to 1 side of baking sheet. Arrange flatbreads in single layer on opposite side of sheet; sprinkle flatbreads lightly with water. Bake in centre of oven until bites and flatbreads are hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stack flatbreads on cutting board; cut into 6 wedges to make 12 pieces total. Arrange flatbreads, lentil bites, carrots, cabbage mixture, hummus, tomatoes and cucumber on large serving platter. Drizzle with tahini mixture.
If you have extra herbs, sprinkle them over top of the platter just before serving.
PIN IT – President’s Choice® Blue Menu™ Middle Eastern Mezze Platter
Make your life easier and tantalize your taste buds with more protein, more fibre, more vegetables and more taste from the newly re-launched President”s Choice® Blue Menu™ line.
To stay up to date with all the happenings, be sure to follow along on the President’s Choice® social media channels:
Community ~ #BlueYourMenu
What is your favourite Blue Menu™ product or what Blue Menu™ product would you love to try?
Disclosure: This post is sponsored in partnership with President’s Choice®. As always, all opinions are our own.