Do you enjoy having a savoury snack in your home during the holidays? We do too, but let’s face it loading up on box and bag after box and bag of purchased snacks can be very expensive. They are also very high in calories, salt, fat and often contain many unpronounceable words!
A friend of mine gave me the perfect recipe for Nuts and Bolts and I know you will love it too! You can customize it to suit your family’s likes and dislikes and it makes a HUGE batch that will last throughout the entire holiday. (You could easily half the recipe if you think it is too large)
Another bonus with this recipe is its simplicity! Just open some cereals and other goodies, pour them in a roasting pan, stir occasionally and you are done. Plus, a bag or bottle of these Nuts and Bolts would make a prefect little hostess or teacher gift and would be perfect tucked in a parcel of assorted goodies for family living away.
- 12 cups "O" shaped cereal
- 7 cups whole wheat squares cereal
- 9 cups pretzels
- 3 cups nuts (your favourite)
- 3 cups cheese nips
- 1½ cups butter
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons Kosher or seasoned salt
- Combine cereals, pretzels, cheese nips and nuts in a large roasting pan.
- Melt butter and add seasonings.
- Drizzle over cereal mixture.
- Toss well to coat.
- Bake in 250 degree F. oven uncovered for 2 hours, stirring well every 30 minutes.
If anyone in your family had a peanut allergy you could easily replace them with a different cereal. Once these have baked and cooled you could also add some colourful Christmas candy such as Smarties, M&M’s, JuJubes, or jelly beans.
After cooling we transferred this batch to the large sized zippered storage bags, it made three big bags!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and as always, if you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.