Disclosure: This post is sponsored in partnership with Canadian Turkey. As always, all opinions are our own.
I don’t want you to get me wrong, I love the relaxed vibe of summer, however, I have always found something very comforting about the fall of the year. For the most part, vacations are over, the kids are back at school and dad and mom are back to work. Life, in general, seems to go back to normal.
Another thing I like about the fall is the cooler weather. Which for me often translates into spending more time in the kitchen cooking, canning, and baking. This is the time of year when I always try to make meals that will yield lots of leftovers. I love using these leftovers for future dinners, lunches, and snacks.
One of my all-time favourite weekend dinners to make is a big roasted turkey dinner. Not only is it great for Sunday dinner, but it ALWAYS has lots of leftovers!
Did you know, October is Canadian Turkey Month? It is and I’m so excited to help get Canadians cooking with turkey all month long! Whether you’re planning for weeknight dinners, weekend family nights, or gatherings with special friends, Canadian turkey can be the cornerstone of every meal. Plan for extra leftovers and try swapping turkey for the usual protein in any of your favourite recipes and then get ready to be surprised at how delicious and tasty they will be. There are so many ways to get cooking with turkey and Canadian Turkey Month is a great time to treat your family to some new and exciting turkey recipes!
Thanksgiving is almost here too, and Canadians are gearing up to celebrate one of their favourite holidays of the year. Making memories over a festive meal with family and friends is the greatest way to participate in this Canadian tradition. Whether you’re a novice cook new to feeding a crowd or a seasoned pro in the kitchen, let Canadian Turkey help you create a show-stopping Thanksgiving celebration and give you everything you need to make this a delicious and memorable meal!
Never roasted a whole turkey before? Not a problem. Canadian Turkey has made it foolproof for you with their Turkey Basics Whole Turkey How-Tos. These step-by-step videos will break down the basics so you can master all the steps needed to make that perfect roast Thanksgiving turkey. You’ll be surprised at how simple it can be to create a special celebration meal with these helpful tips and easy-to-follow directions.
As I mentioned earlier, one of the best things about roasting a whole turkey is having delicious leftovers that you can use to make meals for a later date. You can strategically plan to make leftovers from your main meal by buying a turkey that is a few pounds heavier than you need. While sitting down to your Thanksgiving feast, your family will never guess that this meal will be doing double duty by providing you with bonus meal starter packs so you can have a head start on busy weeknights ahead.
One-Skillet Turkey, Mushrooms and Polenta Cakes with Sun-dried Tomato Dressing
Leftover turkey can be shredded, cubed or sliced, and stored in the freezer to be used as a handy base for a healthy meal. These portions of healthy and lean protein will be a busy mom’s best friend in the kitchen, where they can be used to make soups, salads, pastas, casseroles, wraps, sandwiches and more. With a little planning, there are endless ways to use these power protein packs!
You can use your leftovers in any of your favourite recipes, or visit canadianturkley.ca where you can find a selection of delicious recipes for inspiration. Turkey leftovers give you so many options for making new and tasty main meals and snacks for your family every day!
10 WAYS TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR TURKEY LEFTOVERS
1. To plan for leftovers, order a turkey that is several pounds bigger than what you need. That way you can be sure to cook once and eat twice, with leftover turkey to spare for additional meals once everyone has had their fill.
2. Plan for leftovers by allocating 1½ – 2 pounds of turkey per person. This will give you ½ to 1 pound of extra turkey for each person at your table.
3. Make sure you pack your leftovers within 2 hours after cooking to maintain the quality and safety of the food.
4. Save and freeze the turkey carcass and bones, too. Use these to make a delicious turkey stock that can easily be frozen for use in soups, sauces, gravies, and mashed potatoes.
5. Freeze any leftover gravy in muffin tins or ice cube trays. Once frozen, store in a zip-top bag or airtight container and use as needed.
6. Leftover turkey freezes well, so make sure you fill your freezer! Wrap your turkey leftovers in plastic to avoid freezer burn and you’ll have ready portions on hand. Visit www.canadianturkey.ca for recipe inspiration and make salads, soups, pasta or casseroles in a snap!
7. Store your leftovers properly for best results. Shred your turkey or cut it up into slices or cubes and freeze in convenient 1lb meal base portions that are ready to use right from the freezer. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for a quick start to weekday meals.
8. Divide your leftovers into dark and white turkey portions before freezing so it will be easy to choose what works best in your recipes.
9. Make a list of your favourite leftover turkey recipes. Add to that list so when the holiday season comes around every year you will have a head start with a selection of go-to recipes on hand.
10. Stock up on air-tight, leak-proof containers or plastic bags for your leftovers or prepared meals so you’re ready to size up your meals any time.
There’s lots more exciting information to come, so just keep scrolling because I’m also sharing a super helpful downloadable with 5 Way To Use Turkey Leftovers To Quick-Start Weekday Meals, plus, a delicious recipe for One-Skillet Turkey, Mushrooms and Polenta Cakes with Sun-dried Tomato Dressing.
And, that’s not all! There’s also a fabulous giveaway for a $75.00 Hudson’s Bay e-gift card (redeemable at The Bay or thebay.com) to help one lucky reader celebrate Thanksgiving with Canadian Turkey!
You can easily download these great ideas by simply clicking on the highlighted text –> 5 Way To Use Turkey Leftovers To Quick-Start Weekday Meals
PIN IT – One-Skillet Turkey, Mushrooms and Polenta Cakes with Sun-dried Tomato Dressing
One-Skillet Turkey, Mushrooms and Polenta Cakes with Sun-dried Tomato Dressing
- 2 cups leftover cooked turkey meat
- 1 500g tube, pre-made polenta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups assorted mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 12 medium-sized basil leaves
- salt pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp water
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan.
- Add tomatoes to the skillet. Sear over high heat for 3-5 minutes
- Lower heat. Add turkey and cook until gently warmed, add the mushrooms and mix until warm, 1-2 minutes.
- For the dressing, mix together sundried tomato pesto, yogurt, and water using a fork.
- To serve, plate each dish with 2-3 polenta cakes. Top with mushrooms, turkey, and tomatoes.
- Drizzle with sundried tomato dressing and sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.
TIP: This dish makes a fabulous lunch the next day. You can also replace the polenta with rice or pasta.
Are you looking for additional tips, recipes, Turkey Basics videos and HOW TOs? Follow the #CdnTurkeyMonth hashtag and visit canadianturkey.ca for all your cooking inspiration. Canadian Turkey makes your Thanksgiving easy with all the recipe suggestions and turkey prep tips you need. The year-round whole turkey HOW TOs section will help you prepare a whole Canadian turkey for your friends and family for any occasion. And the recipe section is filled with delicious recipes for whole turkey, turkey cuts and leftovers so you can get tasty, nutritious and versatile turkey on your table every day!
WIN – A $75 Hudson’s Bay e-gift card (redeemable at The Bay or thebay.com) for one lucky reader to help you celebrate Thanksgiving with Canadian Turkey!
DATES – Giveaway closes at 11:59 PM AT on, October 10, 2019
ELIGIBILITY – Open to residents of Canada 18+.
TO ENTER – Using the Giveaway Tools form below, simply follow the instructions, complete the mandatory entries, (which unlock the optional entries), plus any or all the optional entries for your chance to win this prize.
Best of luck everyone!