When I can’t decide what veges to have for dinner, Oven Roasted Vegetables is often my go to recipe. This dish is so versatile and really easy to prepare. It is great to serve when you are having guests, you can prepare the vegetables ahead of time and then just pop them in the oven 40 minutes before dinner.
You can use just about any combination of vegetables you have on hand. It is a great way to use up those couple of carrots, half a head of cauliflower, overripe tomatoes or most any other vegetable you may have sitting in a bowl on the counter or in the crisper of your fridge.
I have prepared the broccoli and set it aside. I will add it to the other vegetables for the last fifteen minutes of cooking.
I like to add a dusting of parmesan cheese to the hot vegetables, but this is entirely optional. These are delicious with or without the cheese.
Vegetables that are perfect for roasting include:
- broccoli florets*
- cauliflower florets
- butternut squash, peeled and diced
- red, yellow or white onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- bell peppers, seeded, diced*
- zucchini, diced*
- Brussels sprouts – Trim stems and remove any wilted outer leaves; wash. Cut any large sprouts in half lengthwise.
- sweet potato, peeled (or not) and diced
- carrots, peeled (or not) and diced
- mushrooms, ends of stems cut off*
- Asparagus, diced*
- Whole tiny new potatoes, halved or quartered, work especially well. For large potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces.
* Indicates a vegetable that only needs about 15 minutes of cooking time. Add these later.
Note – If you are not peeling vegetable, be sure to scrub/clean them well before using.
- A mixture of vegetables
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Parmesean cheese (optional)
- Fresh or dried thyme and or rosemary (optional)
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper
- Peel if appropriate, separate florets and chop vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- Place the heartiest of your vegetable selection, the ones that take the longest to cook, including the tomatoes, in the pan (Save the others, such as broccoli, to add later in the cooking time)
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and move them around in the pan to coat vegetables in oil.
- Season coarse salt and pepper and herbs (if using)
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until almost cooked. Remove from oven, and add the more delicate veges, sprinkle them with a little more olive oil and salt and pepper and herbs.
- Return pan to the oven and continue baking until all the vegetables are tender. Another 15- 20 minutes.
- Grate parmesean cheese over vegetables. (optional)
- Serve and enjoy!
Do you ever roast your vegetables in this way?
What are your favourite veges to cook in the oven?