My husband first made these delicious Oven Subs several years ago, I have been hooked ever since! We will often have them on a Friday or Saturday evening when we are looking for a simple meal that requires minimal preparation and time.
One of my favourite things about these is the ability to customize the sandwich to suit each person’s individual tastes and wants.
I am not a big meat eater, so I always make mine a “veggie” sub, my husband on the other hand is a meat lover, he always packs on the ham, summer sausage, salami, or turkey…whatever is available!
Some of our favourite toppings include:
- red onion
- mozzarella cheese
- olives (green or kalamata)
- baby spinach
- dill pickle slices
- summer sausage
- light Hellman’s mayo
- salt and pepper
Because we heat these subs in a hot oven we don’t add lettuces as we find it gets a little soggy.
Some other popular choices are:
- bell peppers
- banana peppers
- jalapeno peppers
- cooked bacon
- the options are endless, add whatever you enjoy.
- any melting cheese, such as: Jack, Taleggio, Gruyere, Emmental, Brie, Camembert, Gorgonzola Dolce, Fontina.
- This is what we put in our subs on this particular night, but the combinations are endless!
- 1 - sub roll per person (Plain, cheese, onion, whole wheat etc., whatever your family prefers)
- Hellman's Light Mayo
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Dill pickle slices
- Tomato slices
- Ham (if using)
- Baby spinach
- Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut sub roll almost in half, but keep two sides attached.
- Spread both sides with mayo (approximately 1 Tbsp.)
- Layer in vegetables (and meat) in any order you wish, topping with cheese.
- Place, filled side up, on a 24 inch long piece of aluminum foil.
- Bring long sides together over sub and roll ends to seal.
- Fold short sides in toward sub to seal.
- Label, if desired
- Put wrapped subs on a sheet pan.
- Place pan in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, unwrap, slice in half and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this quick, easy and delicious meal and as always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask!