This post is sponsored by the PC Health app. All expressed opinions and experiences are my own words.
Living during this pandemic has been quite a “life changing” experience for all of us! After what seemed like an extra long winter and spring it has been so nice to finally be able to get outside again and enjoy some semblance of a “normal” life in these “less than normal” times.
Speaking of less than normal times, as a now retired nurse, I’m very concerned about how people are managing their health these days. I especially worry about those with chronic illnesses such as Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease and many, many more.
Me, deep in thought, reading in the PC Health app about managing diabetes.
Having a chronic illness myself, let me tell you, navigating the healthcare system, in person, during this pandemic has been a challenge. Let’s face it, COVID-19 has changed our expectations of how we interact with everything and everyone, even healthcare professionals.
When seeking health care, we want flexibility, safety and information. We also want this with minimal risk of exposing ourselves to the COVID-19 virus, or for that matter, any other viruses or illnesses.
So, if you’re seeking non-urgent health care, I have some wonderful news! The PC Health app is here to help you. And the best news…you can use it from the comfort and safety of your own home.
Let me tell you a little bit about the PC Health app.
First, the app is a new way to access health care and is totally confidential. Think of it as the digital ‘front door’ to our healthcare system, providing a single place to access care, as well as information and tools to help manage health and wellness.
It is free to download and provides access to a hand-picked network of Registered Nurses, Dietitians, doctors and other healthcare providers. It also has a wide range of different health and wellness programs – and bonus, you will get PC Optimum™ points for completing daily health activities.
Just a small sample of some healthy goodies from the PC Health Shop!
Some of my favourite features of the app are:
- The convenience – the app makes it so easy to access health and wellness products and services. It is easy to navigate, and I love that you can do it all from the palm of your hand and in the comfort of your own home.
- As a nurse, I am acutely aware of how difficult it can sometimes be to navigate the healthcare system in person. I love that by using the app, it is simple to find the resources, support and guidance that you are looking for.
- I recently moved to a new city and am presently without a family doctor. So, one of my main reasons for loving this app has got to be the free access to health programs, as well as access to Registered Nurses and Dietitians. They are available to answer your questions and help you take control of your health needs. You can also get a diagnosis, treatment and prescription from doctors* and specialists – all from home for a fee on iOS or Android.
- Did you know, the PC Health Shop on the app provides Canadians with a convenient, personalized place to shop for health products and services, and you can even earn PC Optimum™ points on select products? It’s true!
- I also love that when you fill out your Health Profile on the app, it delivers a personalized experience based on your own health interests and goals and acts as a central place to store, track and manage health information over time.
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed Canadians’ expectations about how we interact with and navigate the healthcare system – we all want flexibility, choices, and convenience – and the PC Health app is the first-of-its-kind app that’s helping to meet that need, through high quality resources and support.
While other existing apps tend to address a single health issue, such as managing prescriptions, the PC Health app helps Canadians find resources, support and guidance. This includes on-demand access to trusted healthcare professionals, including real-time virtual care from Registered Nurses and Dietitians via live chat and a care team to support you with finding healthcare providers (like a doctor or dentist), local healthcare facilities, and more.
I mentioned the challenges many people face while managing chronic illnesses. One of those chronic diseases, diabetes, is especially near to my heart.
My family has a long history of diabetes; I have aunts, uncles, nieces, great-nieces and cousins with this disease. I have lived most of my life with an acute awareness of how critical it is for those living with diabetes to properly manage it.
I was thrilled when I discovered the PC Health app has several health programs devoted to the management of diabetes. The programs offer everything from “Glucose Monitoring for People with Diabetes” and the “ABCDESSS of Diabetes” to “Hypoglycemia and Living with Diabetes” to “Foot Care for People with Diabetes” and even “Physical Activity for People with Diabetes”.
These are all 7-day programs developed in partnership with Diabetes Canada. I love how simple, achievable and easy to follow the goals are, and in just seven days you are well on your way to better diabetes management.
For example, by completing the “Physical Activity for People with Diabetes” health program you will learn about the benefits of physical activity for those living with diabetes.
We all know exercise improves overall health and fitness, but it is especially important for diabetics as it helps to lower blood sugar levels. During physical activity, active muscles use up sugar as a source of energy and regular physical activity helps to prevent sugar from building up in the blood.
The PC Health app outlines exactly how to incorporate exercise, and how to do it in a way that works best for you! Depending on your personal interests, this could mean walking briskly, cycling or performing resistance training.
The PC Health app is unique in that it builds in added motivation to improve your health by earning PC Optimum™ points as you complete these credible health programs on your journey to better health – whether you are managing diabetes or another chronic disease, or just want to start incorporating more healthy habits into your daily routine. How great is that!
Download the PC Health app now to get free, real-time access to virtual chats and health programs from trusted healthcare providers.
The free app is available in both English and French at the App Store or Google Play.
Download the app at https://link.pchealth.league.com/social-monica.