After a fairly mild, but still very long winter, if I cautiously peek around the corner I can see spring finally making her way toward us.
I can barely wait to shed my winter clothes, put out the patio furniture and start digging in the garden. for me, spring is always a hopeful time of year. It holds the promise of long hours of daylight, warmer temperatures, barbecues, hiking and finally being able to get out of the house without twenty layers of clothing!
I’m also trying to shed some of my winter hibernation weight!
Lately, I have become a little obsessed with “Smoothie Bowls”, so when I recently saw a recipe for this Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie Bowl, I knew I had to try it!
- ¾ cup (175 mL) Plain Kefir
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Agave Syrup
- 2 cups (500 mL)Frozen Strawberry, Kiwi, Banana Fruit Blend
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) Honey Almond Granola Cereal
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Chia Seeds
- Place kefir, syrup and frozen fruit blend in the blender.
- Blend for a few seconds.
- *You may have to turn the machine off and push fruit toward the centre in order for the blade to capture the fruit.
- Remove lid and scrape down sides.
- Repeat until mixture is evenly thick and creamy.
- Divide mixture among four bowls.
- Top with cereal, coconut and seeds.
You can easily make this delicious recipe in the middle of winter because you can now easily find fresh frozen fruit all year. Unlike fresh fruit, there’s no prep required, so you can instantly add some to smoothies and milkshakes or top your cereal, yogurt and ice cream. For a tasty treat, blend fruit with yogurt or kefir and freeze on sticks for homemade freezer pops.