*PLEASE NOTE – This post was written prior to Covid 19*
Last week I was going to a girls get together with some family and friends. I wanted to take some of the burdens off the host and offered to bring along an appetizer. (Although, that being said…there ended up being enough food on the buffet table to feed a small army for a week…lol, so I don’t think I was much help!)
A couple of Christmases ago, I made some Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Pinwheel Appetizers…but apparently, we were all quite hungry that evening. As it turned out, they were all gone before I had an opportunity to snap a few pictures.
So, I thought I would make them again and this time, remember to get some photos before they all disappeared.
I love a few things about this recipe:
- These look impressive but are in fact, very easy to make
- Can be made the morning of or even a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to slice
- They are pretty and colourful
- They don’t cost a fortune
I whipped the cream cheese by machine, but you could certainly do it by hand.
I recommend using a Roma (plum) tomato. These tomatoes have more flesh and less liquid.
I love all the colours. This combination not only has the delicious, classic BLT taste but also looks so nice when rolled and sliced.
Once you add the vegetables and meat, don’t use a machine to mix. Do all the combining by hand.
Divide the mixture evenly among the soft tortillas. The number of rolls you will get depend on the size of your tortillas. I used a 10″ (25cm) but you could definitely use a different size. However, I don’t recommend the small 6″ flour tortilla, because you will have too many wasted end pieces.
Roll them up, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours before slicing.
- 2 - 227g (8 ounces) packages cream cheese, softened
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup washed and well dried, chopped lettuce (iceburg, romaine, leaf lettuce)
- 3 fairly large Roma (plum) tomatoes, cut in half and remove seeds and juice, chop into approximately ¼" (1/2 cm) dice.
- 4 or 5 - 10" (25cm) flour tortillas (I used a roasted tomato but whole wheat or spinach would also work well)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir cream cheese until very soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add bacon pieces, diced tomatoes and chopped lettuce. Mix well to combine.
- Spread this mixture on each tortilla.
- Roll up the tortillas, wrap well in cling wrap and refrigerator for at least two hours. Can be made the evening ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut off ends of the rolls (don't throw them out, kids love them!) and slice the chilled rolls into ½ " (1.3cm) slices
These cute and delicious Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Pinwheel Appetizers are perfect for any get-together and are so easy to make!
As always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer.