I didn’t grow up having traditional “Sunday dinners”, however, my husband’s family did. When we were first married and when our children were little, we ALWAYS went to my in-laws for a big dinner every weekend.
As the years went by and my in-laws became older, the dinners were held more and more often at our home. Even now, with our grown children scattered across the country, it is a tradition my hubby and I continue each week.
And, both of our kids, even though they live alone, almost always make a big dinner on the weekend and have leftovers for lunches and quick dinners for the upcoming week. The dinner tradition lives on!
However, turkey is not just for Sunday!
It’s so easy to prepare and with a variety of cuts available, it’s very versatile too. Thighs, breasts, drumsticks, sausages and ground turkey are all readily available, making it super easy to try to include turkey in every meal – breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Turkey is also a very economical option, which makes a big difference when trying to watch your dollars and cents. Plus, it’s light, lean and packed with protein, vitamins, and minerals, making turkey an easy and healthy choice any day of the week.
I have to admit, though, one of my favourite dinners to make is a traditional roast turkey. Not only is a whole roast turkey dinner economical, it’s an easy, no muss, no fuss meal to prepare and has the huge benefit of leftovers!
With the leftovers, I have made everything from turkey pizzas to bbq turkey clubs, turkey soup to turkey tacos and turkey stir fry to turkey casseroles.
But, today I want to share with you a fabulous recipe for, Southern Italian Turkey Pasta Puttanesca. It is made with turkey sausage (found at your local grocery store) and is certain to become a family favourite. It is so tasty and “bonus”…easy to make any night of the week.
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 turkey sausages
- 2 tbsp capers
- ½ cup sundried olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 350 gr pasta
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt for pasta water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Broil in the oven on the middle rack for 8 – 12 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Bring 8 cups water to boil; add salt.
- Add pasta and follow package instructions. Cook until al dente.
- Very important: reserve 1 cup pasta water and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Remove casing from sausage and break up into 1-inch pieces. Add to pan and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Add anchovies and garlic and cook until anchovies dissolve and garlic is cooked through 2-3 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes.
- Add olives and capers.
- Remove from heat.
- Add pasta directly to saucepan.
- Add ½ cup of the reserved pasta water and toss.
- Add fresh basil, hot pepper and, ½ tsp olive oil.
- Add up to ½ cup of additional pasta water, a little at a time, if pasta begins to dry out.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
We’re definitely having turkey for our upcoming Easter dinner, it’s very often our “go-to” protein and the perfect choice anytime you want an easy to make, memorable, Sunday (or Wednesday or Saturday) dinner with your family!
Looking for additional tips, recipes and HOW TOs? Visit www.canadianturkey.ca for all your cooking inspiration!
For more information on delicious Canadian Turkey, you may wish to follow along on their social media channels. Also, keep an eye out for the hashtag #TurkeyEveryDay:
WIN – A $75 prepaid Visa gift card that you can use for groceries to help get some Canadian Turkey on your table!
DATES – Giveaway closes at 11:59 PM on April 7th 2017
ELIGIBILITY – Open to residents of Canada 18+
TO ENTER – Using the Giveaway Tools form below, simply follow the instructions, complete the mandatory entry, (which unlocks the optional entries), plus any or all the optional entries for your chance to win this prize!
Good luck everyone!