I have been on a bit of a strawberry rhubarb baking kick these past couple of weeks. But, in my defense, how could I not be? It seems that everywhere I go these early summer fruits are looking at me, begging to be transformed into a delicious dessert, like Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp and so many others.
I recently made a Strawberry Shortcake Shortcut which is a quick, delicious and easy take on the original and an amazing Strawberry Rhubarb Galette. (Which I may have had more than two pieces of…with ice-cream!)
My most recent strawberry rhubarb creation was a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. This is so easy to make and it tastes so good! This would be the perfect end to a family meal or serve it in a fancy little dish with a scoop of whipped cream or ice-cream and you have a dessert worthy of an elegant dinner party.
A great bonus of this dessert is the fact it can be prepared earlier in the day and then baked just before serving. A great time saver, especially if you’re entertaining!
Cut up all your fruit and put it in a big bowl.
Add granulated sugar and corn starch, stir to combine.
If you’re like me and sometimes don’t remember to put the butter out to soften…you can just grate your butter. By the time you have it grated, it will be soft enough to use.
Sprinkle topping over fruit.
Bake until golden and bubbly.
Serve warm with a big dollop of French Vanilla ice cream!
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup oatmeal (NOT the instant type)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a large bowl, mix the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, strawberries, and rhubarb to combine. Place the mixture in a buttered casserole dish or 8" x 8" pan.
- Using your clean hands, mix butter, brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, and nutmeg together until you can form small clumps.
- Sprinkle topping over fruit.
- Bake until topping is golden and fruit is tender. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with a big scoop of ice-cream
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask and I will do my very best to answer them.
What is your favourite dessert to make?