A couple of months ago, I was in London, Ont., visiting with my son. While there, a friend of his mentioned a Breakfast Skillet recipe she makes and how delicious it was. It sounded like something our family would really enjoy so I asked if she would mind sharing the recipe, as I wanted give it a try.
She sent me the recipe and we have now made it a couple of times; it is so delicious! It is also very simple and a little different from the regular Breakfast Bakes, in fact, this may be our new go to recipe for Christmas breakfast.
The following is an adaptation of Veronica’s recipe. If you were having more than four people for breakfast, you could easily double this and make in two baking dishes or one larger pan.
Preparing the tomatoes for roasting. (Can also be made in an oven proof skillet…which I didn’t have…lol)
Adding the bread mixture to the roasted tomatoes.
Adding the eggs to the little ‘hollows”.
Covering the works with a little sprinkle of cheese before baking.
The finished product! I am feeling hungry just looking at this and remembering how delicious it tasted!
- 1 small container of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ⅓ loaf bread (I used egg bread) torn into bite sized pieces.
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- ½ cup grated cheese (I used a Mexican mix for a little added spice)
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place tomato halves, in a single layer, in a greased 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for approximately 30 minutes, until tomatoes are soft and starting to caramelize.
- While tomatoes are roasting, place torn bread pieces and green onions in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and add bread mixture to baking dish, toss gently to combine.
- Form four hollows within the bread mixture and add 1 egg to each.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for only 4 - 5 minutes until whites are set but yolk is still a little runny.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
As always, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will do my very best to answer!